Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts are simple to make and the perfect side dish that doesn't require the oven. You will love the simple combination of Brussels sprouts, butter, lemon zest, and Parmesan cheese. It is perfect for almost any type of diet - from vegetarian to keto!
If you like easy side dishes, you are going to love these Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts.
Not only are they super-easy to make, but unless you decide you want to crisp them up after cooking, they don't require the oven.
This makes them ideally suited to the holidays. (Though truth be told, this is a recipe a make throughout the year.)
Ingredients for Pressure Cooker Brussel Sprouts
- Brussels Sprouts - Brussels sprouts that are no more than 1 1/2 inched in diameter will have the best flavor. Trim larger sprouts of loose leaves. You want to buy sprouts that are pale green and free of yellowing or black spots.
- Sea Salt - I used finely ground sea salt. If you use a different grind such as table salt, you may wish to adjust the amount. As always, season to taste.
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper - You can use pre-ground in a pinch, but I love the flavor that fresh ground provides.
- Chicken Broth - I almost always use homemade chicken broth because the flavor is superior.
- Butter - My go-to brand is Kerrygold.
- Lemon Zest - Wash the lemon well and choose organic if possible. When zesting, you should only go over the surface once to avoid getting bitter parts.
- Parmesan Cheese - Freshly grated cheese always has the best flavor. I do not recommend using the shelf-stable kind in the can.
Storing Brussels Sprouts
Store Brussels sprouts in a produce bag in the refrigerator for up to one week. Don't wash them until you are ready to cook them.
How long do you steam Brussel sprouts in the Instant Pot?
It takes just two minutes to steam Brussels sprouts in your pressure cooker. If you prefer firmer sprouts, you can reduce this to just one minute.
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
How to Make Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts
First, start by seasoning the Brussels sprouts and placing them in a steamer basket.
Place the broth in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
After that, place the steamer basket on top.
Cook at high pressure for 2 minutes, and then do an instant release.
Remove the Brussels sprouts from the pot. Drain the water. Return the Brussels sprouts to the pot and toss with the butter and lemon zest. Return the lid to the pot until the butter melts.
Toss, and top with the cheese.
Optional For Crispier Brussels Sprouts with Melted Cheese
Place the sprouts on a baking sheet and sprinkle with cheese. Place under the broiler for a couple of minutes.
- Instant Pot Lemon Chicken is an easy to make dinner that is so full of flavor. You won't believe how deliciously easy this recipe is.
- Prepare to do a little happy dance the first time you taste this Instant Pot Chicken. With mushrooms, olives, and feta, this recipe is like a party in your mouth.
- Looking for more pressure cooker inspiration? Don't miss this round up of Keto Instant Pot Recipes. Also, check out my complete collection of Keto Recipes.
Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts
- Instant Pot
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts trimmed and halved
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 3 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Toss the Brussels sprouts with the salt and pepper and place in a steamer basket. Add the broth to the bottom of the Instant Pot and lower the steamer basket.
- Close and lock the lid and set to seal. Cook at high pressure for 2 minutes and then do an instant release.
- Drain the water and return the Brussels sprouts to the pot. Toss with the butter and lemon zest and return the lid to the pot to allow the butter to melt.
- Toss and top with the Parmesan cheese. (If desired, you can place under the broiler for a minute or two to melt the cheese.