If you like cabbage as much as I do, you are going to love this delicious Keto Cabbage Rice. You will be surprised at how well this dish scratches the itch for rice without all the carbs to weight you down. It is super-easy to make and makes a great weeknight side dish.
If you have never tried cabbage rice, you are in for a treat!
I love cabbage, so when I first heard the suggestion that you could use it as "rice" much like cauliflower, I knew I had to give cabbage rice a try.
I was blown away by the results!
This dish is super-simple but flavor-packed. It is so good that I had to stop myself from eating a whole bowl so I could take a photo. Give it a try, and I think you will be hooked too.
Is Cabbage Keto?
Yes - cabbage is a great option for a keto diet. One cup of raw chopped cabbage has just 2 net carbs per serving, making it roughly equivalent to cauliflower.
Buying and Storing Cabbage
Look for cabbage that are smaller with thin outer leaves and bright color. Store loosely wrapped in plastic in the refrigerator for about a week. Remove the tough outer leaves before using.
What Do You Serve With Keto Cabbage Rice?
Since this has Southwestern-inspired flavors, I like to serve it with Taco Lettuce Wraps, Fajitas, Tacos, and Quesadillas.
How to Make Cabbage Rice Keto Style!
See the printable recipe card below for the full recipe with measurements.
First, start by cutting the cabbage into rice. I prefer to do this in the food processor because is is fast and easy. If you don’t have a food processor you can also use a box grater to grate the cabbage.
Once you have your “rice”, heat oil in a skillet to medium heat. Add the cabbage, onion, jalapeno, tomato, and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
Add in the tomato paste, cumin, salt, and water. Cover and cook for 12 minutes.
You May Also Like
- When you are craving comfort food, it doesn't get any better than this Keto Mashed Cauliflower.
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice is another fabulous side that works well with Mexican flavors.
- Looking for a classic side that the whole family will love? You will love this Keto Coleslaw!
- Keto Creamed Spinach is a deliciously decadent side that the whole family will adore.
Spicy Mexican Cabbage Rice
- 1 head green cabbage
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1/2 chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Cilantro for garnish
- Chop the cabbage into pieces small enough to fit in a food processor. Pulse until it resembles rice.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the cabbage, onion, jalapeno, tomato, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, cumin, salt, and 1/4 cup of water. Cover and cook for about 12 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and garnish with cilantro.