Easy dinners like this Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken will never go out of style! The marriage of a mayonnaise-based marinade topped with a crispy cheese coating is simple but shockingly delicious. When I make this easy low carb chicken dinner, my family falls upon it like a pride of hungry lions.
I am always looking for low carb recipes that I can make for the whole family. Recipes like this Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken are perfect!
I can enjoy it with a cooked veggie side or simple green salad, and they can enjoy it with a carby side if they like. (Though, to be honest, it is quite common for all of us to us to stick with a low carb dinner.)
This recipe looks and tastes fancy, but it is one of the easiest dishes I have made in a while.
I think that you will fall in love with the crispy, cheesy goodness!
Ingredients for Making Parmesan Crusted Chicken Keto
- Mayonnaise - Homemade mayo is excellent if you have time. I have even used this Garlic Lemon Aioli for an extra punch of flavor. If you buy mayonnaise, make sure that you read the label.
- Dijon Mustard - I prefer dijon, but grainy brown mustard would work too.
- Thyme - You can use 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh thyme if you like. If you prefer, dried Italian seasoning and garlic powder are also fabulous options.
- Salt and Pepper - My recommendation is always 1 teaspoon of salt per pound of meat. I still taste before serving and sprinkle with a pinch of salt if necessary. I am particularly fond of finishing dishes with Maldon sea salt, a coarse, flaky salt.
- Chicken - Either boneless breast or thighs work.
- Parmesan - Finely grated fresh parmesan cheese is best here. It adds to the flavor of this low carb parmesan-crusted chicken. I recommend using the best quality you can. Steer clear of the shelf-stable parmesan that comes in a can.
- Avocado Oil - Any keto-friendly oil that is safe at higher temperatures will work here. I don’t recommend cooking in extra virgin olive oil at high temperatures due to the smoke point.
Do I Need Almond Flour to Make Parmesan Chicken?
I love almond flour, but I have found that it isn’t necessary in this recipe. If you want to try a crispy chicken with almond flour, check out my Keto Chicken Parmesan.
How to Make Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken
See the recipe card below for measurements, cooking temperatures and times, and nutrition information.
To make gluten-free mayo parmesan chicken, the first thing you need to do is make the mayonnaise mixture.
To do this, simply stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, thyme, salt, and pepper. Feel free to play with the seasonings; Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and smoked paprika are all nice here.
Next, coat the chicken in the mayonnaise mixture. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes. If I am on the ball, I like to do this a day ahead of time to really let the flavors penetrate the chicken.
When you are ready to cook the chicken, combine the parmesan and baking powder in a bowl.
Dip the chicken in the cheese mixture and press the cheese into the chicken to ensure it adheres.
Baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Preheat your oven and place an oven-safe rack on a baking sheet.
Spray the chicken with oil. And bake until golden brown. Flip the chicken, and cook until golden.
Air Fried Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Preheat your air fryer and line the air fryer basted with an air fryer liner. (This is optional but recommended.)
Place the chicken in the air fryer basket. Spray it with oil and cook until golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes.
(Note - You will not need to flip in most air fryers, but every air fryer is different.)
Fried Low Carb Parmesan Crusted Chicken
I usually don’t use non-stick skillets because I don’t think they are the healthiest options. That being said, if you choose to fry this recipe, non-stick will yield the best results.
Heat the oil in the bottom of your skillet.
Add the chicken and cook, flipping only after a golden crust has formed. The total cooking time will vary depending on the size of your chicken and its thickness.
In general, it should take about 12 minutes for the chicken to cook.
You May Also Like
- Craving a hearty casserole to switch up your meal plan? You are going to fall in love with this delicious Keto Chicken Casserole.
- There is no need for takeout when you have got this crazy-good Keto Sesame Chicken recipe. It will blow your socks off and keep you coming back for more.
- Save some money and improve the flavor of your dishes with this Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth.
Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 16 ounces chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or oil spray
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Coat the chicken with the mayonnaise mixture. Allow the chicken to sit for at least 15 minutes- If possible, do this up to one day ahead of time.
- Place the parmesan and baking powder in a shallow dish and stir to combine. Dredge the chicken in the cheese mixture, pressing the cheese into the make.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Put an oven-safe wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Spray the chicken with oil.
- Arrange the chicken on the wire rack and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer registers 160° F.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Heat oil in a heavy-duty skillet.
- Add the chicken, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping when a parmesan crust is golden brown. Remove from the pan when an instant-read thermometer registers 160° F.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes prior to serving.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375° F. Line your air fryer with an air fryer liner.
- Spray the chicken with oil and arrange in a single layer in the air fryer.
- Cook for 15 to 18 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 160° F.