Make this Keto Broccoli once, and you will be hooked! Broccoli and Cheese is not just for picky kids; everyone loves it. When you need a side dish that practically cooks itself, this recipe is perfection. It is guaranteed to shine next to anything you serve it with.
Growing up, eating our veggies was a big thing at my house.
My dad was an avid gardener and took it quite personally when my sister and I rejected the bounty from his garden.
While I can't say that I loved every vegetable, I always loved broccoli.
In the beginning, it was less because of the nutritional value and more because my mother always smothered it in cheddar cheese.
This Keto Broccoli is a grown-up version of the recipe my mom used to make, thanks to the addition of shallots and crushed red pepper flakes.
Feel free to leave those off if you are serving toddlers or picky children!
This is a family-friendly recipe I turn to over and over. Who can resist cheesy broccoli?
Ingredients for Making Keto Broccoli
- Broccoli - Look for heads with florets that are dark green or purplish-green. Broccoli will be bitter if it is starting to turn yellow.
- Avocado Oil - Because we are roasting at a high temperature, a heat-safe oil is critical here. If you choose to use another oil, make sure it is heat-safe. You can read more about choosing healthy oils here.
- Shallot - Shallots have a mellow flavor that tips their hat to both onion and garlic. Feel free to use red onion here if you prefer.
- Sea Salt - I use finely ground; feel free to adjust the salt amount to your personal preference.
- Black Pepper - If you can opt for fresh ground. It adds a punch of flavor to simple side dishes like this one.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - This adds a very subtle heat; you can omit this if you aren't a fan of heat.
- Cheese - I like cheddar here. Perhaps it is because that is how I grew up eating broccoli and cheese. Use whatever grated cheese works for you.
Don't miss my Keto Broccoli Web Story.
What Do You Serve with Keto Cheesy Broccoli?
I typically keep my main course simple when I am serving a cheesy side. Some suggestions are:
This recipe will keep for two to three days in the refrigerator. You can freeze it, but you should expect a deterioation in texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
One cup of raw broccoli contains 4 net carbs. There are 6 grams of total carbs and 2 grams of fiber.
Yes! With just net carbs per serving, it is a great option on keto. A good addition to any diet, broccoli is high in Vitamins C and K.
How to Make Keto Broccoli and Cheese
First, start by preheating your oven. I like to line my baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup, but it isn't absolutely necessary.
If you don't mind a little more clean up, you can spray your baking sheet with oil. Skipping the parchment will yield crisper broccoli.
Combine your oil, shallot, and seasonings in a small bowl and then toss with the broccoli in a larger bowl.
Arrange the broccoli in a single layer on the baking sheet.
Cook for 15 minutes and then toss.
Sprinkle with the cheese and cook for another 5 minutes, until the cheese melts.
If you like, you can turn the broiler on in the last minute or two to brown the cheese.
More Keto Broccoli Recipes
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole is an easy to make meal that the whole family loves. This is one of my most popular recipes, and always a hit at our house.
- When you are looking for a filling side or vegetarian main, this Keto Broccoli Cheese Casserole is perfection.
- Low Carb Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Cheddar is a fabulous make-ahead side. I like to make it for meal prep to serve with lunch during the week.
- Craving comfort food? Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup is sure to hit the spot!
Keto Broccoli and Cheese
- 1 pound broccoli cut into florets
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 shallot sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the broccoli in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the avocado oil, shallot, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Toss with the broccoli.
- Arrange the broccoli in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Toss and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.