You are going to go wild for this delicious Keto Pesto! It literally the best pesto I’ve ever had. Packed with garlicky goodness, toasted pecans, basil, and a bit of lemon juice, this is a recipe you are going to want to keep on hand. It is perfect to make Pesto Chicken, Pesto Pizza, to serve over zoodles, or even to toss with veggies. With zero net carbs per serving!
Keto Pesto is One You Won’t Want to Be Without!
Few things are as versatile as pesto sauce.
Pre-keto, I loved it over pasta. These days, I may be eating zoodles instead, but the love is still there. It is also fabulous on pizza, burgers, lasagna, chicken, or steak. Heck, I’ve even been known to drizzle it over eggs. (You have to try that one – so good!)
Made with simple ingredients, it packs a robust flavor that carries so many different types of dishes. (Remember – the taste is intense so you don’t want to drown a meal in it in the same way as you would something like Alfredo sauce.)
I had never made Pecan Pesto before, and I was blown away by how much I loved this. I initially tried it with pecans because they are one of the lowest carb nuts, but I’ll keep making it this way for the flavor.
I love garlic, and if you are like me, you may want to add another clove or two to give it a bit more bite.
Tips for Making This Recipe
- If you want a pesto that stays bright green for days and that is less intense than raw basil pesto, try blanching the basil. To do this, place the basil in a heatproof strainer and then briefly dip into boiling water and then follow by an ice bath. Spread between two clean dish towels and blot dry.
- If you don’t have a blender, a food processor also works here. An immersion blender is another option, but I find it much easier with a blender or food processor.
Storing Pecan Pesto
This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week. (Pesto with unblanched basil can get a bit darker kept in the fridge but it is still good to eat. I kept this for 5 days and did not experience this, but I have had it happen before.)
Pesto freezes beautifully and is fabulous to have on hand for a quick meal. You can freeze it in any freezer-safe container, but my favorite way is to freeze it in an ice cube tray. You can thaw it overnight in the refrigerator, or you can heat it over low in a saucepan straight from frozen. A microwave is also an option, but it will likely splatter a bit.
Variations for Keto Pesto Sauce
- If you prefer, you can use toasted pine nuts in place of the pecans.
- Substitute parsley for the pesto and add in two tablespoons of capers.
- Add 1/4 cup each of fresh oregano and mint
- Omit the Parmesan to make this recipe dairy-free. (It will still be great – promise.)
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you eat pesto on keto?
Absolutely! Almost all pesto sauces will be keto-friendly, but as always, it is essential to read labels. Some may contain ingredients that you are better off without, so this is a step you should never skip.
How many carbs are in pesto?
The amount will vary by the ingredients and by the type of nut used. Since pecans are among the lowest carb nuts, this recipe is very low in carbs with less than one net carb per serving.
How do you use pesto?
- Pesto Chicken
- Pesto Pizza
- Over Zucchini Noodles
- On top of Broiled Tomatoes
- Chicken Salad
- Tossed with Vegetables
Tools to Make This Recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
You May Also Like:
- Keto Taco Salad is an easy to make recipe that is perfect for meal prep!
- Tex Mex Dressing has just a few ingredients and is the perfect way to elevate your salad game.
- Making your own condiments on keto just makes sense. This Low Carb Ketchup is sheer perfection.
- My freezer is never without this Keto Marinara. Make it once and you will understand why.
- Keto BBQ Sauce is so ridiculously flavorful that you may never go back to store-bought.
- High Speed Blender
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pecans toasted and cooled
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a food processor or blender, combine basil, garlic, olive oil, pecans, Parmesan cheese, and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Process until smooth.
- Add water until the desired consistency is reached.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Keto Recipes that Use Pesto To Try:
- Keto Lasagna is a delicious dinner recipe that the whole family is going to love.
- Pesto Shrimp Zoodles take just 15 minutes to make and are such a flavor-packed meal!