Looking for a fresh lunch or side, that pairs perfectly with the warm weather? You have to try this Keto Spinach Salad with strawberries, pecans, goat cheese, and pickled onions! The flavor combination of sweet fruit, rich cheese, and crunchy nuts is simply outstanding, and the tang of the onions and homemade poppyseed dressing really takes it to the next level. You’ll also love that it only takes minutes to prep. (So it’s perfect for a quick lunch!) If you’ve been looking for a salad that tastes like spring and summer in a bowl, this is one recipe you can’t miss.
Salads have always been one of my favorite foods. They’re easy to throw together, they’re packed with healthy ingredients, and there are so many amazing flavor combinations to try.
Let me tell you, as soon as the weather starts to warm up, this Keto Spinach Salad is always on my menu! Strawberries make it perfect for spring and summer, while rich goat cheese, crunchy toasted pecans, pickled onions, and homemade poppyseed dressing come together for a texture and flavor combination that is out of this world.
Short on time? You can always skip pickling the onions, which means making your salad will be as simple as combining the ingredients and tossing everything in the salad dressing. Your dish can be ready in minutes flat!
But I will say that the pickled onions add an amazing tanginess that takes the salad to the next level. So, if you have the time, I highly recommend giving them a try.
This keto strawberry spinach salad makes a delicious light lunch or simple side dish. If you serve it alongside the main course, don’t be surprised if it quickly becomes the star of the meal!
Ingredients for Making Keto Spinach Side Salad
- Baby Spinach - These nutrient-packed fresh greens give your salad a serious health boost. You can remove larger stems if you prefer.
- Strawberries - You’ll want to hull the fruit, then cut each one into quarters. Strawberries have a lot of flavor, so a little goes a long way.
- Pecans - To toast, chop up raw pecans and toss them in a pan over medium heat for a few minutes until fragrant. You can dry-roast them or cook them in a fat like oil or bacon grease.
- Goat Cheese - This soft, creamy cheese pairs well with the crunch of the pecans.
- Red Onion - Cut half of an onion into slices before pickling.
- Red Wine Vinegar - You’ll use the vinegar to pickle the onions.
- Powdered Sweetener - I like to use Swerve Confectioners. If you only have granulated sweetener, throw it in a blender for a few seconds to powder it.
- Keto Poppyseed Dressing - This simple salad dressing made with olive oil is perfect with your Keto Spinach Salad.
Tricks and Variations
- For a heartier meal, you can add some protein like cooked chicken, bacon, or shrimp.
- Instead of goat cheese, blue cheese or feta will work as well.
- If you don’t have pecans, feel free to substitute any keto-friendly nut.
- For a delicious main course that will have your whole family asking for seconds, Keto Parmesan Crusted Chicken is always a crowd pleaser!
- For a flavor-packed meal that can be ready in 15 minutes, it doesn’t get much easier than Instant Pot Frozen Salmon.
- For a lean protein that works just as well for a weeknight as it does for a holiday dinner, you’ll love Keto Turkey Tenderloin.
Frequently Asked Questions
As long as all of the ingredients and the dressing are low in carbs, then yes! This salad is a great dish for a keto way of eating.
In moderation, fruit can be eaten as part of a keto diet. I recommend berries like strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries that are low in sugar. Savory fruit like avocado is also a good low-carb option.
Tools Needed To Make Keto Spinach Salad
- Large bowl
To make this low carb salad ahead of time, you can mix the spinach, strawberries, toasted nuts, and goat cheese. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, then toss in the dressing and add the pickled onions when you’re ready to eat.
You can store the onions covered in the vinegar mixture in the refrigerator. They will keep for about a week.
How To Make Keto Spinach Salad
In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, 1/4 cup water, sweetener, salt, and pepper. Heat over medium heat until the sweetener dissolves, about 5 minutes.
Place the onion slices in a bowl and pour the vinegar mixture on top. Allow the onion to sit for at least 30 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries, pecans, and goat cheese.
Drain the onions, then add them to the salad.
Toss with the dressing and serve immediately
You May Also Like These Keto Salad Recipes
- The combination of crunchy romaine, crispy bacon, creamy blue cheese, avocado, and sweet heat dressing in this Low Carb Cobb Salad is enough to swoon over!
- This Keto Caesar Salad combines classic flavors for a recipe that is filling and light at the same time.
- For a hearty and flavorful salad that can be ready in less than 25 minutes, give this Keto Taco Salad a try!
- Crisp-tender broccoli, pumpkin seeds, bacon, cheddar cheese, and red onion topped off with a tangy dressing make Keto Low Carb Broccoli Salad a crave-worthy dish.
Keto Spinach Salad
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons powdered Swerve or sweetener of choice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 4 ounces strawberries about 1 1/4 cups, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- 1 recipe Keto Poppyseed Dressing
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, 1/4 cup water, sweetener, salt, and pepper. Heat over medium heat until the sweetener dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Place the onion in a bowl and pour the vinegar mixture over it. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Combine the spinach, strawberries, pecans, and goat cheese in a large bowl.
- Drain the onions and add them to the bowl.
- Toss with the dressing and serve immediately