This Keto Taco Salad is what to make when you are short on time or long on things you would rather do than cook! My 4-Ingredient Tex Mex Dressing takes things to the next level. The whole meal takes less than 25 minutes to make and keeps perfectly for lunch all week. This is a go-to recipe that you'll want to make time and again.
Since my early 30's, I've had a love affair with salads.
This Low Carb Taco Salad is just the kind of salad I love!
It is so simple to make and packs all the flavors of tacos into a delicious bowl. With crispy romaine, cheese, grape tomatoes, and perfectly seasoned meat all topped off with cilantro and my 4-Ingredient Tex Mex Dressing, this is one of those easy dishes you will find yourself making regularly. (Don't miss the Tex Mex Dressing - it is the PERFECT keto dressing for taco salad.
If time is short, feel free to use any dressing you like. Just make sure it is a good one…because life is too short for salads with bad dressings. A simple ranch dressing would be good here, and you can typically find keto and low-carb-friendly options at the grocery store.
If you want to get fancy, make some cheese crisps for that extra crunch factor. Or add some olives for an extra salty kick. You can even top it with a dollop of sour cream. (Because almost everything is better with sour cream.) This is one of those no-fuss dishes that is easy to get creative with.
I like to double this recipe so that I have a grab-and-go lunch in the fridge.
Ingredients for Making Keto Taco Salad Recipe
- Onion: I used yellow onion, but you can use whatever type of onion you happen to have on hand.
- Ground Beef: I like 80/20 for the most flavor.
- Taco Seasoning: I recommend homemade taco seasoning. If you choose to buy taco seasoning, make sure you read the label.
- Broth: You can use water if you don't have beef broth on hand.
- Lettuce: I like romaine lettuce in a taco salad, but you could use spring mix if you prefer.
- Avocado: If you are making this ahead of time, make sure you wait to add this just before serving.
- Cheese: I like cheddar cheese here. I prefer to shred my own because most shredded cheese has additives that you are better off without.
- Tomatoes: If you are trying to reduce the total carbs, feel free to omit.
- Cilantro: This adds a nice pop of flavor.
- Dressing: I like to enjoy this with my Tex Mex Dressing, but if you prefer, you can top it with salsa and sour cream.
Want to Get Creative? More Toppings to Try!
- Fresh or pickled Jalapeno Peppers
- Sour Cream
- Red onion
- Red peppers - raw or roastedTips & Tricks
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this keto salad is PERFECT for meal prep! You can keep all of the prepped ingredients except for the avocado and dressing for two days covered in the refrigerator.
To keep them any longer, I recommend storing the ingredients in divided containers or separately. Otherwise, the moisture from other ingredients will start to make your lettuce soggy. Add avocado and dressing just before serving.
In most cases, it is not. This is because it typically contains beans and is served in a tortilla. This keto diet taco salad recipe is the perfect way to enjoy your favorite flavors and stay low carb. And the carb count is low! Just two net carbs per serving. (Not including the salad dressing.)
Kitchen Tools To Make This Recipe:
How to Make Keto Taco Salad
Low carb recipes don't get much easier than this!
Start by heating your skillet to medium-high.
Spray it with oil and then add the onion. Cook until tender.
Add the taco meat and cook until browned. If you have extra oil in the skillet, drain it off before adding the taco seasoning and broth.
Cook until incorporated and then remove from heat.
You can mix everything in a large bowl or divide the lettuce between serving bowls and top with the seasoned beef and remaining ingredients.
Toss with dressing and enjoy!
More Keto Recipes to Try
- Keto Ranch Chicken is a simple dinner that even kids and non-keto family members adore.
- Instant Pot Keto Chicken and Mushrooms is quick to make and packs a surprising punch of flavor. Serve it with cauliflower rice for a complete meal.
- Looking for more salad inspiration? You are going to love this delicious Low Carb Cobb Salad. This crunchy, fresh salad is one I turn to again and again.
Keto Taco Salad
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning check labels to avoid sugar; I prefer to make my own
- 2 tablespoons beef broth or water
- 8 ounces romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado diced
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup grape tomatoes quartered
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Tex Mex Dressing for serving
- Gather your ingredients and spray a skillet with oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through and browned. (About 5 minutes.)
- Drain off any grease and stir in water and taco seasoning.
- Cook for 2 more minutes, until the seasoning is well incorporated and the water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat.
- Divide the lettuce among the plates.
- Top with beef, avocado, cheese, tomatoes, and cilantro.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve