I love easy appetizers that can be made ahead, and these Keto Stuffed Mushrooms are just that. You are going to love the combination of savory sausage, briny Manchego, and creamy ricotta cheese. Try it once and, like me, you will be addicted.
Make Keto Stuffed Mushrooms in Just 20 Minutes!
I am a fan of any dish that can be made ahead of time - especially appetizers. When I am entertaining, I am all about keeping things simple so that I can enjoy my guests rather than spending the whole time in the kitchen trying to impress them.
These Keto Stuffed Mushrooms are my idea of make-ahead heaven. They can be made up to two days ahead of time, and all you have to do is pop them in the oven when you are ready to serve them.
Plus, they are so simple to make that you don't have to wait for a special occasion - you can enjoy them as a side dish any time. (I love them with a steak!)
I think you will agree that these stuffed mushrooms are a fabulous addition to any gathering - from game day, to your holiday table!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are stuffed mushrooms keto-friendly?
These stuffed mushrooms are, but you have to be careful ordering them out because they often contain hidden carbs and breadcrumbs.
What kind of mushrooms are good for stuffing?
With over 300 edible mushrooms out there, there are a lot of different options! White button mushrooms are readily available in most all supermarkets and are an excellent option. Cremini and Portobello are other great options. I like to use giant portabello mushrooms when I am making a meal out of this recipe.
How do I pick the best mushrooms?
If you can find them, loose mushrooms (rather than pre-packaged) are a great option. This allows you to inspect them. Look for large caps that are intact and free from discoloration. They should feel damp and springy, and should never be slimy.
How do I store mushrooms?
Because of their high moisture content, mushrooms should be used soon after you purchase them. Store them in a partially opened zip-top bag, or their original container. If you open a container and don't use all of them, cover it with plastic wrap. Never cover them with a damp paper towel as this will cause them to deteriorate faster.
How to Make Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
1 First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Clean your mushrooms and place the caps, stem side down, on the prepared baking sheet. Cook for 6 minutes, and then remove from the oven. Transfer to paper towels and allow to drain. Turn the oven to broil.
2 Meanwhile, heat the avocado oil to medium heat in a large skillet. Add garlic and onion and cook until the sausage is cooked through.
3 Next, transfer the mixture to a bowl and add in the ricotta and Parmesan.
4 Stir to combine.
5 Stuff the mushroom caps with the cheese and sausage mixture and top with the manchego cheese. Broil until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
Variations for This Recipe
- Use crumbled cooked bacon in place of the sausage.
- In place of the ricotta cheese, use softened cream cheese.
- Switch the cheeses up - Smoked Gouda and Gruyere cheese are excellent here.
f making these Keto Stuffed Mushrooms ahead of time, remove them from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees and then broil until the cheese is bubbly.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- This Keto Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms is tastier than you could imagine. Dinner bliss in a flash!
- Crispy Keto Zucchini Chips make the perfect dipper for your favorite spreads. Great for game day or casual entertaining.
- Keto Queso is one you will make time and again! This delicious recipe is loved by everyone - even those that aren't watching their carbs.
Keto Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
These Keto Stuffed Mushrooms are pretty spectacular and perfect for entertaining! I like to make them a day ahead of time so that I can pop them in the oven when guests arrive. This recipe is infinitely adaptable, so feel free to play around with the ingredients you have on hand.
Keto Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 ounces mushrooms stems removed
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 6 ounces sausage removed from casing
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces Parmesan Cheese
- 4 ounces manchego cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Clean the mushrooms with a clean damp cloth.
- Place mushroom caps, stem side down, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cook for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain stem side down.
- Turn the oven to broil.
- Meanwhile, heat the avocado oil to medium heat in a large skillet
- Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring often and breaking the sausage up with the back of a spoon, until the sausage is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a bowl and add ricotta and Parmesan.
- Stir to combine.
- Stuff the prepared mushroom caps with the cheese and sausage mixture.
- Top with the manchego cheese.
- Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Other Low Carb Appetizers to Try
- I can't wait to try these Bacon Wrapped Asparagus bites from Savory Tooth. Bacon and cream cheese? YES, PLEASE!
- These Coconut Fried Shrimp from Megan Seelinger are so good they will disappear in a flash!
- When you need a simple appetizer, give these Cucumber Slices with Herb and Garlic Cheese from Midget Mama a try.
Leave a Reply