This Keto Queso is super-quick to make and even quicker to disappear. It is great for dipping vegetables and low-carb chips, and also fabulous as a topping for tacos, chili, burgers, and even chicken. For this recipe, the most important thing is to get the best quality cheeses that you can.
This Keto Queso is My Idea of Perfection!
Feel free to substitute different cheeses. Good-quality (not processed) American cheese is nice here.
Add a 4-ounce can of diced green chilies
Stir in cooked and crumbled chorizo once the cheese melts.
Use a serrano chile pepper in place of the jalapeno.
True story - I was vegan for a solid year.
Looking back, I am not entirely sure how I managed it. The only thing I can figure is that, at the time, I was fully convinced that it was the best thing for me. (It wasn't. I got very sick, but that is a story for another day.)
Why this "accomplishment" still amazes me is that my favorite food has always been cheese.
As someone who suffers from food allergies (gluten), I held my breath when I got the results back from the test to see if dairy was an issue. (This was after the vegan era.)
I cried over the loss of bread, but I would have had a complete melt-down if I could never have cheese again.
Cheese is life, and this Keto Queso completes me.
It is hard to believe something so simple to make can be so utterly satisfying. I think you are going to love this bowl of cheesy yumminess as much as I do!
How to Make Keto Queso
1 First, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion, and chipotle chili and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.
2 Next, sprinkle with salt and xanthan gum.
3 After that, add heavy cream and chipotle sauce and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, until the sauce begins to get thick.
4 Finally, reduce the heat to low. Stir in the cheese and cook until melted.
Variations for This Recipe:
- Feel free to substitute different cheeses. Good-quality (not processed) American cheese is nice here.
- Add a 4-ounce can of diced green chilies
- Stir in cooked and crumbled chorizo once the cheese melts.
- Use a serrano chile pepper in place of the jalapeno.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn From Qualifying Sales
Frequently Asked Questions
What are chipotle chili peppers?
Chipotles are a medium-hot peppers that have a subtle sweetness that is balanced by charred wood, tobacco, and barbecue flavors. While you can find them dried, they are widely available in the ethnic section of the grocery stored canned in a red adobe sauce. A good substitute would be dried ancho chilies.
Can I use pre-shredded cheese for this recipe?
I don't recommend it. Pre-shredded cheese lacks the flavor that a block of cheese has. Additionally, it most often contains additional carbohydrates in the form of a coating designed to keep it from sticking together.
What can I dip into Low Carb Queso?
For a treat, I am obsessed with Quest Chips. I don't keep them in the house all the time, because they are something I tend to overindulge in. Beyond that, this dip is great on celery, cauliflower, and red pepper. I also like it on top of meat, or anything Mexican.
Did you know that about half of the 200 varieties of Chile peppers in existence come from Mexico?
You May Also Like
- If you like cheese as much as I do, you are going to go wild for this smoky Keto Pimento Cheese. This is seriously the best pimento cheese I've ever had. (And I'm from the South so I've had a lot!)
- This simple Marinated Cheese is a super-easy appetizer that is as quick to disappear as it is to make.
- Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, these Keto Zucchini Chips are perfect for dipping.
- Whether is it game day, or simply a weeknight side, these Keto Cauliflower Wings are always a hit!
Low Carb Queso Recipe
This Low Carb Queso is a recipe that I turn to again and again. It is perfect for entertaining since it can be made in advance and gently reheated. You will love the creamy yumminess of it, as well as how easy it is to throw together. I think it has just the right amount of heat, but sometimes when I am feeling particularly adventurous, I sprinkle on some crushed red pepper flakes.
- medium saucepan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce minced, plus 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup heavy cream or ½ cup unsweetened almond milk and ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese grated
- ¾ cup grated pepper jack cheese grated
- For Topping: sliced scallions diced tomatoes, sliced jalapeños, cilantro
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and chipotle chili and cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and xanthan gum.
- Add heavy cream and chipotle sauce and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese.
- Cook until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.