Most people are surprised to learn that taco seasoning often contains ingredients like sugar, cornstarch, and corn flour that make it unsuitable for a keto diet. The solution? Make your own! This Keto Taco Seasoning takes just minutes to make and is the perfect solution for Taco Tuesday!
Mexican food - or at least the Americanized versions of it- has long been my favorite.
When I first went keto, one thing that surprised me was that many pre-made spice mixes had ingredients that weren't keto-friendly. Some have sugar, soy, and gluten.
As much as I resisted adding one more thing to my to-do list, I have found that making my own blends is a super-easy solution. It takes just a few minutes and is well worth the effort.
If you have old enough kids to handle the task, it is one of those easy things to delegate since it isn't particularly fussy and is an excellent way to teach fractions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You would be surprised at how many carbs are in many commercially available brands. One that I checked out had 18 grams of carbs per packet.
Most brands contain sugar. If you are looking for a keto-friendly option, make sure you read the label.
I recommend adding around two tablespoons for each pound of meat you are cooking. You can adjust up or down from there to suit your preferences. Just keep in mind that this is not free of carbs, so if you are tracking closely, you should consider the additional carbs in your macros.
Tips & Tricks
- Most taco seasoning mixes have a thickener, which is why the recipes recommend you adding water to them to make a sauce. If you would like, you can add one teaspoon of xanthan gum to this recipe.
- Likewise, since sugar is a common component of taco seasoning, feel free to add one tablespoon of your favorite powdered sweetener.
- Play with heat and adjust them to suit your preferences.
Store in a sealed container in the pantry for up to six months.
Keto Taco Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, salt, oregano, onion powder, smoked paprika, ground black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Transfer to a small jar and store in your pantry.