Keto Zucchini Fritters are filling and light at the same time. They pair well with most lunch or dinner options, but also make a fantastic vegetarian lunch or dinner on their own. This recipe is highly adaptable, so feel free to play with the vegetables, and use whichever cheeses that you have on hand.
Meet You New Summer Obsession: Keto Zucchini Fritters
One thing I never get tired of is fritters.
My latest obsession is these Low Carb Zucchini Fritters.
While I love keto foods, the only way I can keep myself on track is to have a lot of variety in my diet. I make these fritters when I am craving something salty and dippable. They are light, yet decadent and sort of remind me of hash browns.
These babies work beautifully as a side dish, where I really love them is as a main course. Topped with a fried or poached egg…its heaven. Serve them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner - it all works.
Of course, you must have sauce! I've had these with everything from an aioli, to tzatziki, and even just plain sour cream. All of them are perfect, and make these fritters irresistible.
Make sure you read my tips on these. Since they don't have breadcrumbs the don't hold together quite as well as regular fritters. You may need to adjust the almond flour depending on exactly how much zucchini you have, and how large your eggs are.
Cooking them in the air fryer - if you have one - is a great way to make these. I've made them both ways. While you can't deny the crunch factor that comes with frying them in oil (which is what is pictured), the air fryer was hands down the winner when it came to making it easy.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, this recipe reheats beautifully. To store, place in a sealed container with parchment paper between the layers. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to four days, or the freezer for three months.
Leftovers can be reheated in a skillet, air fryer, or the oven. If you are heating from the freezer, I recommend heating covered at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes and then finishing in a skillet or air fryer.
You can go as simple as sour cream! But other great options include Keto Ranch, Chipotle Mayo, and Avocado Cream.
- Serve for breakfast with a fried egg on top.
- Excellent with Keto Grilled Chicken
- Serve with Creme Fraiche Salmon Dip
- Serve with a green salad
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe:
- Hand Grater or Food Processor
- Clean Dish Cloth or Paper Towels
- Skillet or Air Fryer
- ¼ cup measure
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
Tips for Making this Recipe:
- Making any fritter when you don't have breading requires a little bit of technique. But don't worry - once you understand what you need to do it isn't that difficult.
- If you are making on the stove top, make sure you allow the oil to get warm before adding the Zucchini Fritters. Then, leave the fritters to cook undisturbed until you see a golden edge peaking out the bottom. The crispy crust will hold the fritter together when you flip.
- For easier flipping, don't make the fritters too big.
- Don't skip the part about adjusting the batter if it is too dry or runny.
- Don't skip squeezing the juices out of the zucchini - it is necessary for crispy fritters.
Want to Use Your Air Fryer?
For a foolproof way, you can cook these in the Air Fryer. They still crisp up! I forgot to flip mine when I was testing, and they still came out nice. (Though not quite as crispy as those cooked in oil.) . To make Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters, cook at 380 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping half way through.
Variations for this Recipe:
- Use scallions instead of red onion and add ¼ cup each fresh chopped dill and parsley.
- Add ½ teaspoon ground cumin.
- Omit the smoked paprika, and instead use cajun seasoning
Keto Zucchini Fritters
Make Zucchini Fritters Keto Style once, and you will find yourself turning to this recipe again, and again all summer long. Make sure you adjust the batter depending on exactly how much zucchini you are using. It should be moist but hold together. Flip only once, when you see the edges of the fritters turn golden brown.
Keto Zucchini Fritters
- ½ pound zucchini
- 3 eggs beaten
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional; more or less to taste
- Avocado Oil or Ghee for cooking
- Grate zucchini with a food processor or hand grater. Place in a colander, and sprinkle with salt. Place the colander over a plate to catch the liquid, and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Using paper towels or a clean dish cloth, ring out the zucchini to get rid of excess moisture. (If you are avoiding salt you can rinse before you ring out.)
- Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl and add almond flour, red onion, garlic, feta, salt, smoked paprika, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in beaten eggs. Adjust the fritter batter as needed depending on exactly how much zucchini you have. Add more almond flour if the mixture looks runny, or a tablespoon of water it it is looking too dry.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of your skillet over medium-high.
- Form the zucchini mixture into patties that are about ¼ cup each.
- Cook for 5 minutes per side, flipping only when you see that a crust has formed and the edges are starting to turn brown.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Alternatively, you can cook for 10 minutes in a 380 degree air fryer, flipping half way through.
- Serve with sauce of choice.
Other Keto Fritter Recipes to Try:
- Cheesy Cauliflower Fritters from Kirbie Cravings
- Keto Chicken Fritters from Diet Doctor
That looks so good! I can't wait to try it!
Mmm these look really delicious! I like using zucchini in my recipes but have never tried making zucchini fritters!
Ah I am pinning this recipe for later. I love zucchini anything and this looks and sounds absolutely amazing. Can't wait to try it!
Wow, it really looks great..! Thanks for sharing the recipe.. Been looking for something like this nowadays.
These look delicious! I love zucchini!
This sounds so delicious!! I dont think ive ever made anything "keto" but I will try this since i love zucchini
Kathy Kenny Ngo
Zucchini is actually really surprising. I loved the taste and it's refreshing.
Maartje van Sandwijk
These look delicious 🙂 Definitely a great summer recipe!
So delic! I can't wait to try these. I'm looking for some low carb, light eating this summer and I've pinned this.
I love zucchini and would love to try these fritters. This seems simple to make.
These fritters look nice and easy to prepare for some quick options for an evening outdoor party.
Ooh. I can’t wait to make this! fritters is one of my all-time favorites, and I make every recipe I find. This one looks tasty!
I love finding a new recipe to try. I’m always so scared I am going to mess it up somehow. This looks easy enough for me though. Thanks!
This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it! I’ve been trying to eat more keto friendly meals 🙂
Those zucchini fritters sure look delicious. Thanks for this idea!
These look and sound super delicious! I know what recipe I will be trying next!
I just couldn’t wait to make these and I’m glad that I did...These were SO GOOD!!! I made the avocado sauce to go with them. Yummy! Thank you!
So glad that you enjoyed them!
Could these be baked instead of fried?
They could! I haven't tried it but I would guess 425 ° F for between 15 and 20 minutes. Flip halfway through. If you try it let me know how it goes.
What is the serving size? 1 fritter? It’s pretty high calorie if so.
It makes 6 servings.