Cheesy stuffed chicken that is crispy on the outside served with a creamy sauce is near-perfect food, in my opinion. Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu is a touch fancy, but in reality, it is much easier to make than you would imagine. This recipe is excellent for a dinner party or any time you need something that feels a bit special.
Keto Chicken Cordon Blue is Perfect for Entertaining!
Growing up, one of my favorite dishes to get at a local restaurant we went to was Chicken Cordon Blue.
There was something magical about ham and melted cheese oozing out of a perfectly cooked chicken breast.
It did and still does seem a touch fancy! Although this isn't the quickest recipe on the website, the method is straightforward and not at all complicated.
I like to prep this one ahead of time for entertaining or a weekend family dinner!
Frequently Asked Questions
What side dishes go with Chicken Cordon Bleu?
- Parmesan Asparagus
- Side Salad
- Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Broccoli
Why is it called Chicken Cordon Blue?
This Swedish dish gets its name from the French term cordon bleu, which means “blue ribbon.” It denotes excellence of the highest quality.
Can this recipe be made ahead of time?
Yes, this recipe can be fully prepped up to a day ahead of time and cooked when you are ready to serve. The sauce may be prepared ahead and gently reheated on the stove.
Can you freeze cooked Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu?
You can! I recommend browning the chicken in the skillet (step 1 in the oven/skillet instructions) and then cooling completely. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze solid.
You can then transfer to a freezer bag to save room in the freezer. Defrost the chicken overnight in the refrigerator on a plate, and then bake or air fry as directed, increasing the time by about 5 minutes.
- Use turkey or bacon in place of the ham.
- Substitute other cheeses for the Swiss cheese. I love smoked gouda.
How to Make Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu - Air Fryer and Oven Instructions
This section is for those of you who are visual and like to see the process. Please see the recipe card below for the full recipe with measurements.
First, place the chicken in a zip-top bag or on a cutting board with plastic wrap on top. Using a meat mallet, pound to ¼-inch thickness. Season well with salt and pepper.
Next, place the chicken on a clean plate and top with ½ ounce each of ham and cheese
After that, roll the meat up and secure with toothpicks. If desired, you can sprinkle a little smoked paprika on the chicken.
Crack the eggs in a shallow bowl and beat. In another shallow bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, almond flour, and Italian seasoning.
Dip the chicken in the eggs and coat with the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure you firmly press the breading into the chicken with your hands.
Air Fried Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu
To air fry, place the chicken in the air fryer seam side down. Spray with oil and cook at 400 for 8 minutes. Flip and re-spray.
Cook for another 6 to 10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the internal temperature is 160 degrees. Rest for about 10 minutes and serve.
Baked Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu
To bake, first heat oil in a large skillet and cook the chicken until it is browned on both sides, about 7 minutes total.
Transfer to a baking dish seam side down and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes longer, until the temperature reaches 160 degrees.
While the chicken cooks, melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
Add broth, heavy cream, and cream cheese, and cook until the cream cheese melts.
Stir in Dijon mustard and Parmesan cheese. Simmer over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, until the cheese melts and the sauce has thickened.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
More Keto Chicken Recipes to Try:
- Craving comfort food? The whole family is going to love this Chicken Broccoli Casserole. This is cheesy goodness than is never out of season.
- Keto Chicken Parmesan is a crowd pleasing recipe that can easily be prepped ahead of time.
- Mix up your pizza night with this Buffalo Chicken Pizza! It is the perfect mash-up of flavors you love.
Keto Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (Omit if you are cooking in an air fryer.)
- Place the chicken in a zip-top bag. Using a meat mallet, pound to ¼-inch thickness.
- Season on both sides with salt and pepper. (I used ½ teaspoon each.)
- Place a piece of chicken on a clean plate and top with ½ ounce each of ham and cheese.
- Roll the chicken up and secure with toothpicks.
- Place the eggs in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, almond flour, and Italian seasoning.
- Dip the chicken in the eggs and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the mixture firmly to the surface of the chicken with your hands.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Place the chicken in the air fryer seam side down. Spray with oil. Cook at 400 for 8 minutes. Flip and re-spray.
- Cook for another 6 to 10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the internal temperature of the chicken is about 160 degrees. Rest for 10 minutes and serve.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high and add oil. Cook the chicken for 4 minutes, until browned on one side. Flip and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer to a baking dish and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes longer.
Oven Only Instructions
- Spray a baking dish with oil. Place chicken seam side down. Spray the top and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the internal temperature is about 160 degrees. Rest for 10 minutes and serve.
- While the chicken cooks, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add broth, heavy cream, and cream cheese, and cook until the cream cheese is melted.
- Stir in Dijon mustard and Parmesan cheese and simmer over low heat for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the cheese melts and the mixture has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
More Low Carb Recipes
- Baked Crack Chicken is one that deserves to become a habit. Even the kids will love this one. (Make sure you use a keto-friendly oil.)
- When you need to get dinner on the table quickly, this Keto Teriyaki Chicken is perfect! It comes together in just 30 minutes, making it perfect for a busy weeknight.