If you like chicken recipes that are juicy, tender, and full of flavor, you will love this Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken. With less than ten minutes of prep time, this easy recipe is perfect for family dinners. You can make this on your outdoor grill or Ninja Foodi Grill. Either way, this one is sure to delight.
Lemon pepper chicken is a great summertime dish that is perfect for grilling! It is also a fabulous addition to your meal prep routine.
The lemon juice helps to tenderize the chicken and infuse it with flavor, while the pepper gives it a nice little kick.
This lemon chicken recipe will become a staple in your dinnertime repertoire.
Ingredients for Making Lemon Pepper Grilled Chicken
- Chicken: I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you could use chicken thighs too. If you use bone-in chicken, increase the cooking time and ensure the internal temperature reaches 165° F before serving.
- Oil: I use avocado oil, but you can use olive oil.
- Lemon Juice: Use fresh lemon juice. For even more lemon flavor, you can add the lemon zest as well.
- Mustard: Use dijon or grainy mustard.
- Seasonings: A blend of garlic powder, salt, and pepper are all you need to make this lemon garlic chicken marinade. If you want to use prepared lemon pepper seasoning, you can do that instead. (Just be sure to read the ingredient list to ensure there are no hidden ingredients inappropriate for a keto diet.)
Tips & Tricks
- If you want to try something a little different, you can add fresh herbs to the marinade, such as thyme or rosemary.
- Want more kick? Add some crushed red pepper flakes to the chicken marinade recipe. (Just make sure not to go overboard – I’d recommend no more than ½ teaspoon - a little bit of flavor goes a long way!)
Grilled lemon pepper chicken breast is good in a wide variety of salad recipes, such as this Keto Caesar Salad.
It is also fabulous with Keto Asparagus, Fried Green Tomatoes, Loaded Cauliflower, or Keto Spinach Casserole.
Looking for a dipping sauce? This Keto Honey Mustard is the perfect dip for this grilled lemon pepper chicken recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it is okay to marinate chicken in lemon juice; just be sure not to marinate it too long.
Lemon juice helps to tenderize the chicken and adds a bit of flavor.
You can marinate chicken in lemon juice for up to two hours. Longer than that, and the lemon juice in your lemon chicken marinade will break down the proteins in the chicken and make it tough.
Make sure to keep it refrigerated if you plan on marinating it for the entire two hours. It is ok to let the chicken come to room temperature, but it should not sit at room temperature for more than one hour.
It can be a challenge to grill chicken without it drying out, but there are some tricks you can use. First, make sure to season your chicken generously with salt, pepper, and your favorite herbs.
You should season chicken with salt - either in a marinade or directly - at least one hour before cooking. The salt will get into the fibers of your chicken. This not only flavors the meat but helps it to retain moisture as it cooks.
When cooking lemon pepper chicken on the grill, you want to cook it over medium heat. This allows the center to cook through without the outside getting too black.
And finally, keep an eye on it and flip it to prevent burning.
If you follow these tips, you'll end up with grilled chicken that is juicy and flavorful. Give it a try next time you're firing up the grill!
Tools Needed to Make Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Breast
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Ninja Foodi Grill, Charcoal Grill, or Gas Grill
- Tongs (for flipping)
- Meat thermometer
- Silicone basting brush
Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for four days.
How to Make Lemon Pepper Chicken
Lemon Pepper Chicken Marinade for Grilling
Start by making the marinade.
To do this, combine the oil, lemon juice, mustard, and seasonings in a bowl.
Put the chicken in a shallow dish or freezer bag. Pour all but 2 tablespoons of the marinade over it.
Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Drain and discard the marinade.
Grill or Grill Pan
Heat a grill to medium heat.
Oil the grates and add the chicken.
Grill covered for 7 minutes. Flip and brush with the reserved marinade.
Cook for another 7 to 12 minutes until a meat thermometer registers 160° F.
Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Ninja Foodi Grill Lemon Pepper Chicken
Select the grill function and set the temperature to medium.
Set the timer for 16 minutes.
Add the chicken and close the hood.
Cook for 8 minutes.
Flip and brush with the reserved marinade.
Cook for another 8 minutes until an instant-read thermometer registers 160° F.
Allow to rest before serving.
Serve with lemon slices and sprinkle with flaky sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken - Traditional Grill or Ninja Foodi Grill
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Whisk together the avocado oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish and pour all but 2 tablespoons of the marinade over it.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Heat a grill to medium heat. (About 400 ° F.)
- Oil the grates and add the chicken.
- Grill covered for 7 minutes.
- Flip and brush with the reserved marinade.
- Cook for another 7 to 12 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160° F.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Ninja Foodi Grill
- Select the grill function and preheat the grill to medium, about 400- 450° F. Set the timer for 16 minutes
- Add the chicken and close the hood.
- Cook for 8 minutes.
- Flip and brush with the reserved marinade.
- Cook for an additional 8 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160° F.
- Allow to rest before serving.
Oh wow this recipe looks so tasty. I have chicken in the fridge too. I don't have a Ninja foodie so I will try it in my air fryer!
This is so easy to make and very delicious!
The chicken was absolutely delicious and juicy. I used my Ninja Foodi Grill and I started it at 400 deg. then turned it up to 450 deg. after flipping the chicken. It came out perfect. I will definitely be making this again.