Tacos are a family favorite, and this Keto Taco Casserole has all of the flavors in the confines of one easy to make low carb dish. This recipe is kid-friendly, and perfect for when you don't want to cook a meal for yourself and another one for the family. You can go crazy with the garnishes on this one! Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, black olives, hot sauce, and fresh-squeezed lime juice are great additions.
For years, tacos have been a go-to meal in our house. They are easy to make and so darn tasty!
This Keto Taco Casserole is a super-easy way to enjoy all your favorite flavors without needing to make tortillas or shells to keep things low carb.
(Though if you want to eat this in a low carb tortilla - have at it!)
Give this one a try - it is perfect for busy weeknights.
Ingredients for Making This Keto Taco Casserole Recipe
- Olive Oil - Any keto-friendly oil works here. I used regular olive oil, not extra-virgin.
- Onion - Either white or yellow onion is excellent here.
- Jalapeno - Seeding the jalapeno and removing the white parts inside keeps the heat to a minimum. If you would like a spicy dish, you can always skip this step. If you are especially heat-sensitive, poblano pepper is a milder option.
- Ground Beef - Whatever percentage fat of ground beef you have on hand works - you can always drain it after browning if it is too greasy.
- Cream Cheese - Make sure that you use full fat.
- Taco Seasoning - I like to make my own; if you purchase taco seasoning, make sure you read the label to ensure that it is keto-friendly if you are keto.
- Diced Tomatoes - I like to buy the kind with peppers in them for extra flavor.
- Sour Cream - Use full-fat sour cream.
- Cheese - I used cheddar to keep this dish kid-friendly; pepper jack would be great here too.
Tips & Tricks
- If the meat you are cooking is especially high in fat, you can drain it after browning if you like. This is entirely a matter of personal preference since fat is a good thing on keto.
- Have fun with the toppings for this! Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, black olives, hot sauce, and fresh-squeezed lime juice are all lovely additions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes - as long as you use full-fat sour cream, it is keto-friendly. Low-fat and non-fat should not be used on keto because they are higher in carbs.
You can. I recommend cooking the vegetables and browning the beef first. Then, add the remaining ingredients other than the cheese and cook on low for 3 hours. Stir and add the cheese. Cook for an additional hour.
No, because sour cream and cheese are not paleo. Make this paleo by using ½ cup of salsa and 1 beaten egg in place of the sour cream. Omit the cheese and top with black olives after cooking
How to Make Keto Taco Casserole
Start by preheating your oven and spraying a square baking dish with cooking spray. (An 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" casserole dish works.)
Heat the oil in a large skillet and add onion and jalapeno — Cook for 5 minutes.
Next, add the ground beef to the pan and cook until the meat browns.
Add the cream cheese, and cook, stirring often, until it melts and is incorporated into the meat.
Sprinkle the meat with taco seasoning and stir in diced tomatoes.
Cook for 3 more minutes and then remove from the heat.
Stir in the sour cream.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish and top with cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes.
More Mexican Keto Recipes
- Keto Taco Seasoning is a great way to save money and control the ingredients in your southwestern inspired meals!
- Looking for a low carb lunch option that is perfect for meal prep? Don't miss this Keto Taco Salad.
- Keto Beef Enchiladas are always a hit at my house!
Keto Taco Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free taco seasoning
- 10- ounces canned diced tomatoes with diced green chilis or jalapeños
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add onion and jalapeno and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef to the skillet and cook, breaking up with the back of a spoon, until the ground beef is browned. Drain if necessary.
- Add cream cheese, and cook until the cream cheese is incorporated.
- Sprinkle with taco seasoning and stir in diced tomatoes. Cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.