Tacos are a family favorite, and this Keto Taco Casserole has all of the flavors in the confines of one easy-to-make low-carb dish. This recipe is kid-friendly and perfect for when you don't want to cook a meal for yourself and another one for the family. You can go crazy with the garnishes on this one! Great additions include shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, black olives, hot sauce, and fresh-squeezed lime juice.
For years, tacos have been a go-to meal in our house. They are easy to make and so darn tasty!
This Keto Taco Bake is a super-easy way to enjoy all your favorite flavors without needing to make tortillas or shells to keep things low carb.
Give this one a try - it is perfect for busy weeknights.
Ingredients for Making Keto Mexican Casserole
- Olive Oil - Any keto-friendly oil works here. I used regular olive oil, not extra-virgin.
- Onion - Either white or yellow onion is excellent here.
- Jalapeno - Seeding the jalapeno and removing the white parts inside keep the heat to a minimum. If you would like a spicy dish, you can always skip this step. If you are especially heat-sensitive, poblano pepper is a milder option.
- Ground Beef - Whatever percentage of fat ground beef you have on hand works - you can always drain it after browning if it is too greasy. Ground turkey may be used in place of ground beef.
- Cream Cheese - Make sure that you use full fat cream cheese to keep this taco casserole keto.
- Taco Seasoning - I like to make my own; if you purchase taco seasoning, make sure you read the label to ensure that it is keto-friendly.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes - I like to buy the kind with peppers in them for extra flavor.
- Sour Cream - Use full-fat sour cream.
- Cheese - I used cheddar to keep this keto taco bake kid-friendly; pepper jack would be great here too.
Tips & Tricks
- If the meat you are cooking is high in fat, you can drain it after browning. This is entirely a matter of personal preference, but draining excess fat can help the texture of this Mexican low carb casserole.
- Have fun with the toppings for this! Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, black olives, hot sauce, and fresh-squeezed lime juice are all great additions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes - as long as you use full-fat sour cream, it is keto-friendly. Low-fat and non-fat should not be used on keto because they are higher in carbs.
You can. I recommend cooking the vegetables and browning the beef first.
Then, add the remaining ingredients other than the cheese and cook on low for 3 hours. Stir and add the cheese.
Cook for an additional hour.
No, because sour cream and cheese are not paleo. Make this paleo by using ½ cup of salsa and 1 beaten egg in place of the sour cream.
Omit the cheese and top with black olives after cooking
It can be, but don't always assume that it is! Many commercially available taco seasonings have added sugars in them that make them unsuitable for for a keto diet.
Make sure you read the label if you are buying taco seasoning!
I use homemade taco seasoning to make this taco meat with cream cheese, making it perfect for a keto diet.
Low carb Mexican casserole leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days.
How to Make Keto Taco Pie
Start by preheating your oven and spraying a square baking dish with cooking spray. (An 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" casserole dish works.)
Heat the oil in a large skillet and add onion and jalapeno — Cook for 5 minutes.
Next, add the ground beef to the pan and cook until the meat browns.
Add the cream cheese, and cook, stirring often, until it melts and is incorporated into the meat.
Sprinkle the meat with taco seasoning and stir in diced tomatoes.
Cook for 3 more minutes and then remove from the heat.
Stir in the sour cream.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes. Allow this easy keto casserole to cool slightly and then top with your favorite taco toppings.
More Mexican Keto Recipes
- Keto Taco Seasoning is a great way to save money and control the ingredients in your southwestern inspired meals!
- Looking for a low carb lunch option that is perfect for meal prep? Don't miss this Keto Taco Salad.
- Keto Beef Enchiladas are always a hit at my house!
Keto Taco Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free taco seasoning
- 10- ounces canned diced tomatoes with diced green chilis or jalapeños
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add onion and jalapeno and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef to the skillet and cook, breaking up with the back of a spoon, until the ground beef is browned. Drain if necessary.
- Add cream cheese, and cook until the cream cheese is incorporated.
- Sprinkle with taco seasoning and stir in diced tomatoes. Cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.