Appetizers are top on my list at most any restaurant, and I have a particular weakness for anything crispy and fried. These Keto Asparagus Fries scratch the itch for traditional fries while remaining low carb, keto, and gluten-free. They are the perfect beginning to a meal, and also makes a fabulous side. Don’t forget the dip – Garlic Lemon Aioli, Blue Cheese, and Ranch are all good options here.
Appetizer or Side? You Decide! Either Way You Are Going to Love These Keto Asparagus Fries!
If you’ve been around here long at all, you know that I am obsessed with anything crispy and crunchy.
These Keto Asparagus Fries are my latest creation, and I think you will agree that they are a recipe that deserves to become a habit.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure that you don’t overcrowd the asparagus as this will prevent it from getting crispy.
- If you are baking this recipe, I recommend placing an oven-safe cooling rack on a baking sheet for the crispiest fries.
- In most cases, if you are air frying, you will need to cook in batches.
- Coat either your air fryer or cooling rack with oil to avoid losing the breading. Also spray the asparagus with cooking spray.
- Thicker asparagus spears are better in this recipe because thinner ones can overcook before the breading gets crispy and brown.
If you are using thicker asparagus, peel the bottom half of each stalk with a vegetable peeler if desired to remove the woody exterior. If you don’t want to have to peel, stick with medium-thick asparagus that is about 5/8 of an inch.
What Sauces Do I Serve with Low Carb Asparagus Fries?
What is the Best Way to Store Asparagus?
Believe it or not, the best way to store asparagus is in a glass! Just trim off the ends the say way you would flowers. Stand the asparagus spears in a glass and fill it with about an inch of water.
Cover with a plastic baggie and refrigerate. This can even help to revive asparagus that has started to wilt.
How to Make Keto Asparagus Fries – Air Fryer or Baked
Please see the recipe card below for the full recipe with measurements and cooking times.
First, start by poking the asparagus with holes using a fork. Season with salt and allow to sit on paper towels.
Combine the coating ingredients in a shallow bowl and beat the eggs in another shallow bowl.
Dip the asparagus spears in the eggs and then coat with the cheese mixture.
Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet until you are ready to cook.
Preheat your oven or air fryer. Cook according to recipe instructions.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- Simple sides don’t get any better than this Keto Asparagus. It is what I make when I need something that comes together in a flash.
- You are going to fall in love with these delicious Keto Cauliflower Wings. They work equally well for a snack or appetizer and they do for a dinner side.
- Low Carb Buffalo Chicken Dip is a delicious appetizer that never gets old.
Keto Asparagus Fries
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed (thick if possible)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs beaten
- Oil spray I used avocado oil
- Using a fork, poke the asparagus spears with holes. Season well with at least 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Place on paper towels and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup of Parmesan, almond flour, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (I use 1/4 teaspoon each.)
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg.
- Dip the asparagus spears in the eggs, and then coat with the cheese mixture.
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Arrange the asparagus in a single layer, cooking in batches if necessary. Spray well with oil. Cook for 5 minutes. Flip, and respray. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, until the asparagus is tender.
Baked Asparagus Fries
- Preheat and oven to 420 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the asparagus in a single layer. Spray with oil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.