Is it a party without a cheese ball? I am not sure, but this Keto Cheese Ball is a delicious addition to any celebration. It works just as well for game day as it does on your holiday buffet. With just four ingredients, it couldn't be simpler to make and is perfect for making ahead.
Can you believe it is September?
In some ways, 2020 has been the longest year ever; in other ways, it seems odd to me that fall is approaching.
I know the world looks different this year, and this fall will be unlike any fall we have ever experienced before. Still, I think most of us are looking forward to a little entertaining.
While that may look different this year, I think it is essential to bring some tradition into the mix.
Does it get any more classic than a cheese ball? I am not sure! But I do know that his Keto Cheese Ball is super-easy to make and always a hit with my family.
I've kept the recipe simple, but make sure you check out that add-ins section if you are looking to take flavors to the next level.
Can This Recipe Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can make this recipe up to two days ahead of time. Keep leftovers sealed in plastic wrap for up to five days.
Can it Be Frozen?
I don't recommend it. Soft cheeses don't freeze well, and you can expect a pretty sharp deterioration in texture if you try to freeze.
Softening Cream Cheese
To soften cream cheese, you can leave it out on the counter for about one hour. To speed the process, you can cut it in cubes.
I don't recommend trying to soften it in the microwave because this tends to cook the cream cheese. In a pinch, you can try cooking it for about 15 seconds.
Some microwaves do have a "soften" function, with the option to enter what you are trying to soften (cream cheese, butter, etc.) and the amount. I have found these to be very useful.
To the Cheese Ball
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 teaspoons keto steak sauce
- Seasonings - I like garlic powder, dill, oregano, and onion powder
To the Coating
- 4 strips of bacon, finely crumbled
- 2 chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
Can I Use Any Cheese?
I love the smoked gouda because you get a lot of flavor without a lot of ingredients. However, feel free to use any shredded cheese you like. Smoked cheddar, sharp cheddar, and Swiss are all great options.
I don't recommend using pre-shredded cheese because, in my opinion, the taste is inferior.
How to Make a Keto Cheese Ball
First, start by mixing the cream cheese, smoked gouda, and garlic in a bowl, food processor, or bowl of a stand mixer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
You want it to get really combined, so if you are mixing by hand, you will have to use a little muscle!
Form into a ball and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Place the chopped pecans on a plate or in a shallow bowl that is large enough for the cheeseball. Roll the ball in the pecans.
Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
More Keto Recipes for Celebrating
- These Keto Sausage Balls are so good that it is rare that a week goes by without my teen boys making them. Breakfast, appetizer or dinner? You decide!
- Keto Buckeyes are great little nibbles that are perfect for entertaining.
- If you like Southern classics, you are going to love these Keto Fried Green Tomatoes!
- When you want to end the evening with a splash, this Keto Panna Cotta is perfection!
Keto Cheese Ball
- or Stand Mixer
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Place the cream cheese, gouda, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Alternatively, you can mix in a food processor or the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Form into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Place the chopped pecans on a plate and roll the ball in the pecans. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.