You are going to fall in love with this easy to make Keto Teriyaki Sauce. With all the flavors of the original sans sugar, wheat, and soy, this is the perfect option for your low carb diet. It is perfect for when you are craving Keto Chicken Teriyaki.
Though I didn't eat Japanese food growing up when I finally did, it was love at first bite.
I am guessing given that I was in a strip mall restaurant in the suburban outskirts of Atlanta that is probably wasn't even slightly authentic, but I loved it all the same.
Teriyaki sauce is a little hard to duplicate on a keto diet, since none of the three main ingredients - soy, mirin, and sugar - are keto-friendly.
That being said, I think this Keto Teriyaki Sauce delivers on the flavors you expect from Japanese cuisine within the confines of a low carb diet.
What is Teriyaki
According to Wikipedia, "Teriyaki s a cooking technique used in Japanese cuisine in which foods are broiled or grilled with a glaze of soy sauce, mirin, and sugar."
As an Amazon Associate, I earn From Qualifying Sales
- Coconut Aminos - Coconut aminos is a sauce made from coconut sap. It is the best keto-friendly alternative to soy sauce that I have found. It is gluten-free and soy-free.
- Brown Sugar Substitute - I typically use Swerve Brown Sugar, because I can get it at Whole Foods. Some grocery stores also carry it. Lakanto is another option that I love, but it can be harder to find unless you order online.
- Rice Vinegar - Make sure you choose unseasoned rice vinegar since seasoned has sugar in it.
- Fresh Ginger - You could use powdered if you like, but I don't think there is any substitute for the kick you get from fresh. You can store any leftovers in the freezer.
- Fresh Garlic - In a pinch, you could use a teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - There isn't enough in this recipe to make it spicy, but if you hate heat feel free to leave it off.
- Xanthan Gum - This acts as a thickener here. You can leave it off, understand that your sauce will be much thinner.
How to Use Teriyaki Sauce
You can use Keto Teriyaki Sauce to make:
- Keto Teriyaki Chicken
- Teriyaki Salmon
- As a Dipping Sauce for Potstickers
- As a Marinade
- Stir Fry
- Asian Burgers
- As a Sauce for Chicken Wings
How to Make Keto Teriyaki Sauce
Making teriyaki sauce couldn't be easier! Just whisk together all of the ingredients except for the xanthan gum in a medium saucepan.
Cover and cook over medium-low heat until thickened. Whisk in the xanthan gum and cook for another couple of minutes.
You May Also Like
- This Keto BBQ Sauce is so full of flavor that you may never buy BBQ Sauce again!
- Add a little zip to your steak with this Keto Steak Sauce. It is quick to make and quicker to disappear.
- Keto Meat Sauce is a staple in my kitchen and I think you are going to love it too.
Keto Teriyaki Sauce
- medium saucepan
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the coconut aminos, water, brown sugar substitute, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, and crushed red pepper.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes over medium-low heat. Uncover and whisk in xanthan gum. Cook for another 2 minutes, until thickened.