Keto Creamed Spinach is rich, creamy, and full of flavor! It is comforting in ways that vegetable recipes rarely are. This steakhouse classic makes adding greens to your diet a ludicrously delicious proposition.
I love leafy greens, and even more than I love them, I love the way they make me feel. I know that many people don't share my enthusiasm, and therefore struggle to get the recommended amounts into their diets.
Recipes like this Keto Creamed Spinach make eating your greens so delicious.
It is a rich dish that works just as well for steak night as it does on your holiday table.
Is Spinach Good for Keto?
One cup of raw spinach has just 7 calories, 1.1 grams of carbohydrates, and .7 grams of fiber. With just .4 net carbs per cup, it is an excellent option for a keto or low carb diet.
Is Creamed Spinach Keto?
This creamed spinach recipe is keto, but many are not because they use flour or other thickeners such as cornstarch.
Can I Use Frozen Spinach?
I make this Keto Creamed Spinach using fresh spinach most of the time, but it works with frozen spinach. You can defrost it in the skillet in about the same amount of time that it would take you to wilt fresh spinach.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
You can make this recipe up to two days ahead of time up to the point of adding the cheese on top.
When you are ready to serve, stir the spinach mixture well and reheat on it until heated through. Then add the cheese and finish the dish off in the broiler.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
What Goes Well With Creamed Spinach?
How to Make Creamed Spinach With Cream Cheese
This section offers a visual guide and tips. See the recipe card below for the full recipe with measurements.
To make this recipe, you will want an oven-safe skillet. If you don’t have one, no worries. You can always transfer the dish to a casserole to finish it up.
First, start by melting the butter and cooking the garlic. Add the spinach in batches and cook until it wilts.
Add the heavy cream and cream cheese and bring to a simmer. Reduce to low, and cook for 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with the cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
Keto Creamed Spinach
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 16 ounces chopped baby spinach or frozen spinach
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the spinach in batches, moving it around with a spatula and allowing it to wilt before adding the next batch.
- Add the heavy cream and cream cheese. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.
- Set the instant pot to saute. Melt the butter and then add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds, and add the spinach if you are using fresh. Cook until the spinach wilts.
- Add the heavy cream, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Set your Instant Pot to Manual > High. Cook for 5 minutes, and then do a quick release.
- Add the parmesan cheese and place the lid back on the instant pot until the cheese melts.