I am passionate about eating food that makes me feel good, and this Keto Eggplant Lasagna feeds both the body and soul. It is pure comfort food without all the carbs that traditional lasagna recipes have. This recipe is absolutely fabulous with my Keto Meat Sauce. I promise you won’t miss this one – even my picky six-year-old loves this low carb recipe.
This Keto Eggplant Lasagna Will Make You Forget About Pasta!
I am not going to lie – I love pasta.
Like, a LOT.
Unfortunately, pasta does not love me back, and most definitely does not have a place in a low carb lifestyle.
But I am a stubborn kind of girl (who is too old to be called a girl anymore), and I refuse to give up my favorites.
Near the top of my list – LASAGNA!
Is there anything better than the cheesy, meaty goodness of it?
If you love lasagna as much as I do, allow me to introduce you to my latest obsession. This Keto Eggplant Lasagna is nothing short of amazing.
It is my husband’s favorite dish – OF ALL TIME – and even my 6-year-old who hates pretty much everything begs for it.
It is a bit of work – the kind of recipe best saved for a weekend – but it is worth it.
It is good enough that the thought of pasta won’t even cross your mind.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
My Latest Book is Now Available For Preorder.
Get it Now!
How to Make Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna
1 First, preheat your oven to 400 and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Peel your eggplant, and slice them to 1/4 inch thick. Line your (clean) counters with paper towels and place the eggplant slices on them. Salt well and let sit for 30 minutes. Blot to dry.
2 Next, spray the baking sheets and place the eggplant in a single layer. Spray the top. Roast for 25 minutes. While the eggplant is roasting, combine your ricotta, Parmesan, eggs, garlic, Italian seasoning, alt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
3 Spread 1/2 cup of meat sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking dish.
4 Arrange a layer of eggplant over the sauce.
5 Next, top with the ricotta mixture.
6 Top with more meat sauce. Repeat the layers, ending with the meat sauce. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle on mozzarella and Parmesan. Cook for 10 more minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can this recipe be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can put this recipe together up to one day ahead of time and bake it when you are ready to serve. Leftovers are FABULOUS! In fact, this recipe may even be better the next day.
Can you freeze this recipe?
Absolutely! This casserole (cooked) freezes beautifully. (It may freeze well prior to baking but I haven’t tried it.)
How do you pick the best eggplant?
Eggplants should be free from blemishes, firm, and glossy with a deep rich color. Larger eggplants have more seeds and can be more bitter than smaller fruit.
How do you store eggplant?
Eggplants are best stored on the kitchen counter or in the pantry, away from direct sunlight. Plan on using them within a few days.
Can I make vegetarian eggplant lasagna?
Absolutely! Just substitute my Keto Marinara Sauce Recipe for the meat sauce in this recipe.
Did you know that eggplant is actually a fruit not a vegetable?
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
Tools to Make This Recipe
- Mandoline Slicer
- Alternatively, if you have a KitchenAid Mixer you can use their Vegetable Sheet Attachment.
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- 13 x 9 Baking Dish
Tips & Tricks to Make Keto Eggplant Lasagna
- If you are short on time, you can brown a pound of ground beef and use a jarred keto-friendly marinara. (THIS is my preferred brand.) Note that your Eggplant Lasagna may be a touch more watery than mine if you do this.
- If you would like to reduce the carbs, omit the onions in the marinara.
- If you are avoiding salt, I recommend grilling the eggplant instead of roasting it. The salt helps to keep the casserole from becoming watery, so I don’t recommend making this unless you are either going to salt or grill.
You May Also Like
- If you like this keto casserole, you will also want to check out this Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole.
- This Keto Meat Sauce will blow you away! I’ve used it in this Keto Eggplant Lasagna, but it is also fabulous over zoodles and mashed cauliflower.
- Zucchini is such a fabulous substitute for tortillas in these Zucchini Enchiladas that you won’t miss a thing!
- This Keto Meatloaf is comfort food at its best!
Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna Recipe
This Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna will blow your mind! I can’t say that it is a fast and easy recipe, but you will be rewarded richly for your efforts. I like to make the meat sauce a day ahead of time to allow the flavors to develop in the fridge. If you are pressed for time, you could always use a low carb jarred marinara and add in browned ground beef.
Keto Eggplant Lasagna
- 2 medium eggplant
- Olive oil spray
- 30 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese
Roast the Eggplant
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Peel the eggplant and slice to 1/4 inch thick. Salt and let drain on kitchen towels for 30 minutes.
- Blot dry.
- Place the eggplant in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray well with olive oil — roast for 25 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375.
Make the Cheese Mixture
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, Parmesan, eggs, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Place 1/2 cup of the meat sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of eggplant over the sauce. Top with ricotta mixture and then more meat sauce. Repeat layers, ending with the sauce mixture.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan, and cook for 10 more minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Other Low Carb Eggplant Recipes to Try:
- These Crispy Fried Eggplant Rounds from Low Carb Maven are a delicious low carb appetizer!
- Mini Eggplant Pizzas from Wholesome Yum have just six ingredients and takes only 30 minutes to make!
- This Grilled Eggplant from Kayln’s Kitchen combines eggplant, feta, and fresh herbs for a delicious side you will crave again and again.