Meatloaf is always a good idea, and it doesn’t get much better than this Keto Meatloaf! Cheesy, gooey, and flavor-packed, this is comfort food at its best. The cayenne pepper gives this a nice kick - if you are serving this to small children you may want to either reduce or eliminate it.
Keto Meatloaf Backstory
Growing up, meatloaf was something that made a regular appearance on our dinner table.
I have very vivid memories of picking out onions when I was very small.
This memory amuses me to no end given how much I love onions now.
By the time I was in school, I'd grown accustomed to them and to this day, meatloaf for dinner brings back a touch of nostalgia. I am transported back to my Mother's 70's kitchen, which had dark cabinets and far much too gold going on.
There is just something about meatloaf that is comforting, don't you agree?
Of course, my mother's meatloaf had breadcrumbs which doesn't work when you are low-carb and gluten-free.
If you are missing your favorite comfort food, don't worry - I've got you covered.
Turns out, those breadcrumbs weren't necessary. If anything, it is more flavor-packed without them.
You are going to love this Keto Meatloaf. It's cheesy, gooey goodness is home cooking at its best.
And yes, there are some onions. But if you have small kids, you can always chop them super-fine. Or leave them out. Either way works.
I recommend serving this with a side of Low Carb Cauliflower Mash. The duo is just perfect when you are craving meat and potatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
That depends on your diet goals! If you are on Keto or a very strict low carb diet, you are going to find that most traditional ketchups have far to much sugar in them to work for you. Fortunately, the sauce I've made with Surkin Gold brown sugar substitute is just as delicious.
Although it will not hold together quite as well as it would with breadcrumbs, the eggs do a nice job of keeping this meatloaf together. You do want to let the meat cool a bit before cutting. This will help it to stay together.
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
- Loaf Pan
- Mixing Bowls
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 large egg beaten
- ½ onion chopped fine
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 ounces Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place ground beef in a large bowl and add egg, onion, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, ground pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Form a loaf in a loaf pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, while the meatloaf is cooking, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar substitute, Dijon mustard, smoked paprika, and liquid smoke in a small bowl. Whisk together to combine.
- Add half of the sauce and bake for 20 minutes longer.
- Serve with remaining sauce on the side.