Whether you're in the mood for a festive treat or want something to satisfy that chocolate craving, this Low Carb and Sugar-Free Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe is just what you need! Delicious, creamy decadence comes together in one pot on the stove in a matter of minutes. (I like to add some keto whipped cream on top for the full effect!)
Growing up, my family had tons of recipes that we only made around the holidays.
I love sharing traditions with my kids, so I've tried to adapt a few of them to a keto way of eating over the years.
This Low Carb and Sugar-Free Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe might be everyone's favorite! It's rich, creamy decadence in a mug that's sure to warm you up on even the chilliest days.
Forget the powdered, sugar-packed, half-flavored packets you get from the store. Hot chocolate mix has nothing on this cup of deliciousness.
This homemade has all the taste of the hot chocolate your grandmother used to make, without all the carbs.
Best of all, it is super-easy to make. This recipe comes together in one pot on the stove for some old-fashioned indulgence!
After one sip, no one would ever guess this was gluten-free and Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate Recipe.
It's a festive treat my family asks for every year as soon as the weather starts to turn. I think you're going to love it too!
For a full walk through, check out my Keto Hot Chocolate Web Story.
Tips & Tricks
- For a thinner hot chocolate, increase the amount of almond milk and reduce the amount of heavy cream. Or, for a thicker drink, replace some of the almond milk with more heavy cream.
- If you only have granulated low-carb sweetener on hand, throw it in a blender to turn it into powdered sweetener for the best texture. (I used Swerve; Monk Fruit or allulose would work as well. I have not tried this with stevia.)
- Lily's is my preferred keto-friendly chocolate, but you can substitute it with another brand if you prefer. Depending on your preference, you can use milk chocolate or dark chocolate.
The only dairy in this recipe comes from the heavy cream. For a dairy-free Keto Hot Cocoa, your best option is to replace the heavy cream with full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream.
(Just keep in mind that both of these will increase the net carbs.)
You could also replace the heavy cream with more almond milk, then mix in some fat like ghee or coconut oil. Just be sure to use an immersion blender to fully emulsify the fat.
Finally, make sure the Lily's chocolate bar you're using is dairy-free as well. It's always a good idea to check your labels.
(The switches will also make this a keto vegan hot chocolate.)
- Brown sugar substitute adds a deeper flavor, but if you don't have any, you can just use more regular low-carb sweetener.
- To keep this hot chocolate keto, any brand of keto-friendly sweetener will work in place of Swerve. Just make sure it's powdered rather than granular.
Hot Chocolate Flavor Variations
- For a boost of holiday flavor, add a ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract.
- Use a white chocolate Lily's bar for an extra rich and creamy twist.
- Love peanut butter and chocolate? Add a tablespoon or two of powdered peanut butter to the mix for a peanut butter mocha.
- Spice it up with a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, or any other warm spices.
Topping Keto Hot Chocolate
- Crushed sugar-free candy cane pieces
- Cinnamon stick
- Keto whipped cream
- Keto Biscotti
- Shavings from a Lily's chocolate bar
- Sugar-free sprinkles
Low Carb Hot Chocolate FAQ
Unsweetened, natural cocoa powder that doesn't have any added ingredients is perfectly suitable for a keto diet.
When choosing a cocoa powder, always check your labels to make sure there are no added sugars or unnecessary fillers.
If it's this Keto Friendly Hot Chocolate, then absolutely! Thanks to low-carb ingredients and keto-approved sweeteners, you can enjoy this delicious drink all season long without worrying about getting kicked out of ketosis.
In general, is hot chocolate keto? No! Most hot chocolates are full of sugar and not considered a great fit for a low-carb way of eating.
Some restaurants or cafes might offer low-carb and sugar-free versions, but I still recommend asking about the ingredients before orderings. In most cases, you're always going to be better off making your own.
You bet! This healthy hot chocolate recipe is easy to whip up, but it's also nice to have a batch waiting in the fridge.
I recommend gently reheating your Keto Hot Cocoa in a pan on the stove, stirring constantly. Once it reaches your desired temperature, pour into mugs and enjoy!
How To Make Keto Hot Chocolate
Heat the almond milk and heavy whipping cream in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
(You can use a small saucepan, make sure it is big enough so that things spill over.)
Stir in the cocoa powder, Swerve, and brown sugar substitute. Whisk until the powders and sweeteners are fully dissolved.
Add the chocolate and reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook until the chocolate is melted.
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
Top with Keto Whipped Cream if desired.
More Keto Chocolate Recipes
- When you're in the mood for a creamy chocolatey bite, there's nothing better than this Keto Chocolate Fudge. Desserts don't get any richer than this.
- Prep is a cinch for this Keto Chocolate Pudding, so it's perfect for a quick low-carb chocolate fix!
- This Keto Chocolate Bark with coconut and pecans is comforting, delicious, and so simple to make.
- For a rich and satisfying treat that will satisfy any chocolate craving, try these 7-ingredient Chocolate Cheesecake Fat Bombs.
Keto Hot Chocolate
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup Swerve Confectioners
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute
- 3.0 ounce Lily's Chocolate Bar cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, heat the almond milk and heavy cream over medium low heat. Stir in the cocoa powder, Swerve, and brown sugar substitute, and whisk until they are dissolved.
- Add the chocolate and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Top with keto whipped cream if desired.
Leave a Reply