We eat a lot of meatballs around our house, and these Keto Turkey Meatballs are a particular favorite. If you think you don’t like ground turkey, this is the recipe that will change your mind. These meatballs are so ridiculously tender and the BBQ Sauce takes the flavor over the top!
Keto Turkey Meatballs Will Make a Turkey Lover Out of You!
I will be honest - I have long been in camp, "just say no to turkey."
Thanksgiving or not, it isn't something that appears much on my menu.
I make one exception. These Keto BBQ Turkey Meatballs are out of this world.
Moist, tender, and absolutely delicious, this a recipe I turn to again and again.
It is freezer friendly, so I often double the recipe for the meatballs and freeze them separately from the BBQ Sauce. The air fryer does a beautiful job of reheating them, but the oven works too.
How to Make Keto Turkey Meatballs
For the full recipe, including measurements and cooking time, please see the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
1 First, season the turkey well with salt and pepper. Place the egg in a bowl and sprinkle with gelatin. Allow to sit for 5 minutes and then whisk to combine. (Read my notes later in the post if you prefer to bloom and then heat the gelatin.)
2 Next, pour the gelatin mixture over the ground turkey. Add the almond meal, and seasonings. Mix gently with your hands and then form into meatballs about 1 ½ inches thick.
3 Cook in your oven or air fryer. (Instructions below) Transfer to a bowl and toss with BBQ Sauce.
Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs
Set your air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes. (Cook in batches if necessary to avoid over-crowding.). Flip and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Baked Turkey Meatballs
Preheat the oven to 420 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the meatballs in a single layer. Cook for 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Optional: If you like, you can sear the meatballs in a skillet with a little avocado oil before baking.
Buffalo Turkey Meatballs
Toss with buffalo sauce in place of BBQ Sauce. Use this recipe as a guide for the sauce.
Cheesy Turkey Meatballs
Omit the chili powder and use 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning instead. Place the meatballs in an oven-safe dish. Cover with Keto Marinara Sauce and then sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the sauce is heated through and the cheese melts.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn From Qualifying Sales
- Air Fryer (I've had many and this is my favorite brand.) or Baking Sheet and Parchment Paper
- Instant Read Thermometer
- Small Cookie Scoop
Why Use Gelatin in Keto Meatballs?
Gelatin helps with the texture of meatballs - especially when you are making meatballs with no breadcrumbs. It also increases the capacity to retain moisture, which is especially important when you are using lean meat like turkey. That being said, feel free to omit it if you like.
Should I Cook The Gelatin Before Adding it to the Turkey?
You can. I have tried it both ways and have found it doesn't make that much of a difference. To do this, hydrate it first in a few tablespoons of chicken broth. Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes to bloom, and then heat to dissolve.
What Do You Serve with BBQ Turkey Meatballs?
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Salad
- Green Salad
- Green Beans
What Kind of Ground Turkey Should I Look For?
You can use ground turkey breast, but if you can find it, I highly recommend using ground turkey thighs. They are still leaner than beef or pork but will yield moister meatballs than if you use breast.
Can This Recipe Be Made Ahead?
Yes. This recipe is fabulous to make ahead. Cooked meatballs will keep in the refrigerator for about 4 days. Alternatively, you can freeze them for up to three months.
How Do I Freeze Meatballs?
The best way to freeze meatballs is to place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Cover and allow to freeze solid. At that point, you can transfer them to a freezer bag or other freezer-safe container.
If You Like This Recipe You Make Also Like:
- Looking for more game day inspiration? Try these 35 Keto Super Bowl Recipes!
- Craving comfort food? Don't miss this Keto Chicken Fried Steak Recipe.
- Caramelized Onion Meatballs are another fabulous keto meatball recipe that you don't want to miss.
Keto Turkey Meatballs
- Season the ground turkey with salt and pepper. Place the egg in a bowl and sprinkle with gelatin. Allow to sit for 5 minutes and then whisk to combine.
- Pour the gelatin mixture over the ground turkey and add almond meal, chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix gently with your hands.
- Form the mixture into meatballs about 1 ½ inches thick.
- Set your air fryer to 400 degrees. Spray the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for 4 minutes longer.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the meatballs in a single layer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Transfer the meatballs to a bowl and toss with the BBQ Sauce.