Caramelized Onion Meatballs are simple to prepare and deliver an unexpected richness of flavors. The caramelized onion gives them a real boost in texture and taste, while fresh herbs keep the flavors bright and fresh. I like to make them in the air fryer, but these delicious keto meatballs can be baked as well.
Caramelized Onion Meatballs Make a Great Appetizer or Main!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn From Qualifying Sales
I received a copy of this but from the publisher, but I only share things I truly love!
Happy New Year!
Are you as ready as I am to get this year started off right?
I am so excited to be sharing this delicious recipe from The Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook with you today.
If you’ve been around the low carb and keto community for long at all, chances are you have run into the beautiful and delicious work of Maya Krampf from Wholesome Yum. Last fall, she launched her first cookbook that shows you how simple and enjoyable a keto lifestyle can be.
It has over 100 easy low carb recipes that are not only delicious but have ten ingredients or less. This Caramelized Onion Meatball Recipe is from her wonderful book. (The only thing I changed was adding air fryer instructions.)
With stunning photography of every recipe and options that take you from breakfast to dessert (and even condiments), this cookbook is one you will turn to again and again.
Some recipes I can’t wait to try:
- BLTA Stuffed Tomatoes
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Omelet
- Mini Bell Pepper Nachos
- Crispy Orange Chicken
- Fathead Gnocchi
- Key Lime Pie Cupcakes
I could go on, but I think you get the idea.
How to Cook Caramelized Onion Meatballs
First, preheat your oven or air fryer to 400 degrees. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Cook, occasionally stirring, until the onions are caramelized, and the volume has reduced to about ½ cup.
Next, allow the onions to cool slightly and then mix with the ground beef, almond flour, egg, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt, black pepper, and remaining oil. Use a medium scoop to form into balls about 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons in size.
Air Fried Meatballs
Arrange the meatballs in a single layer, cooking in batches as needed. Spray and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and re-spray. Cook for another 4 to 7 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches about 160 degrees. Rest for 5 minutes and serve.
Baked Caramelized Onion Meatballs
Arrange in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 150 degrees. Drain and wipe away any excess liquid. Place directly under the broiler, and broil for about 2 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I cook meatballs in the air fryer?
At 400 degrees, meatballs need to cook for between 9 and 12 minutes to cook. The internal temperature should be about 165. I like to take mine out a few minutes before they reach this and let them rest. The temperature will continue to rise as they rest.
Does this recipe freeze well?
Absolutely! This recipe freezes very well and is great for meal prep. I like to line a baking sheet with parchment paper and freeze them in a single layer. Once they are solid you can transfer them to a freezer safe container or zip top bag and store for up to two months.
How long do you cook frozen meatballs in the air fryer?
For raw frozen meatballs, you will need to increase the cooking time to about 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Cooked frozen meatballs will need about 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
What goes with meatballs for dinner?
My absolute favorite way to serve these Caramelized Onion Meatballs is with Mashed Cauliflower. Other options include:
Tools Needed to Make This Recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn From Qualifying Sales
- Air Fryer (I've had four air fryers and this is by far my favorite.)
- Or baking sheet and parchment paper
- Small Cookie Scoop
More Keto Recipes to Try:
- Looking for more easy dinner recipes? You don't want to miss these 37 Easy Keto Dinners. From chicken, to beef and seafood there is something for everyone!
- This Keto Reuben Sandwich is mealtime bliss. This is one that could never get old.
- Looking for a simple side dish? You will love this Keto Asparagus.
Caramelized Onion Meatballs - Air Fryer or Baked
- ¼ cup olive oil divided into 2 tablespoons and 2 tablespoons
- 1 ¾ cups onion (6 ounces)sliced into thin quarter moons
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup blanched almond flour 1 ounce
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat either your oven or air fryer. (Instructions below.)
- In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook for at least 20 minutes, until the onions are caramelized and their volume has reduced to about ½ cup. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the ground beef, almond flour, egg, rosemary, sage, thyme, sea salt, black pepper, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Mix until just combined.
- When the onions are warm but no longer hot, fold them into the meat until just mixed in. Do not overmix.
- Using a medium cookie scoop to scoop the meat mixture, gently form balls with your fingertips. (You can also use rounded spoonfuls, 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons in size.)
Air Fryer Instructions
- Set your air fryer to 400°F.
- Spray the meatballs and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for 4 to 7 minutes longer. Remove from the air fryer when the internal temperature is about 160 degrees. Rest for 5 minutes and serve.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the formed meatballs on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until almost or just barely cooked through (about 150°F internal temperature). Drain any extra liquid from the pan and wipe the edges of the meatballs if needed.
- Turn the oven to broil and move the oven rack right under the broiler. Place the meatballs under the broiler for about 2 minutes, until browned.