These Instant Pot Beef Ribs are so rich, flavorful, and fall-off-the-bone tender, you’ll think they came from a 5-star restaurant! Best of all, they can be ready in a fraction of the time compared to traditional roasting. After you mix the dry rub in a small bowl, everything else comes together right in the Instant Pot for easy prep and clean up.
It’s perfect when you want an easy recipe that’s sure to impress dinner guests. (They’ll never believe you weren’t in the kitchen all day!) These short ribs are so simple yet so irresistibly delicious, you may start treating yourself to pressure cooker beef ribs on a regular basis.
You may remember that beef short ribs are a favorite around our house. In this Keto Short Ribs recipe, we cooked them low and slow in the oven. The result became an instant family-favorite, but since that recipe requires about 3 hours of roasting time, it does take some planning ahead.
Today, we are speeding things up with the help of our electric pressure cooker! These Instant Pot Beef Ribs are fall-off-the-bone tender and coated in an easy dry-rub that brings out such wonderful flavor.
And it only takes a fraction of the time compared to roasting them in the oven.
Simply apply the dry rub, allow it to sit for at least an hour, then combine the ingredients in the Instant Pot. All in all, prep takes 10 minutes or less!
After the beef short ribs have finished cooking, you’ll add a little xanthan gum to the leftover liquid in the Instant Pot. This makes an easy gravy-like sauce that’s so good, you’ll want to eat it like soup.
These Instant Pot Short Ribs are restaurant quality, and by pressure cooking them, they can be ready in about half the time as traditional roasted short ribs. So whether you’re entertaining guests or looking for an unforgettable family meal that requires minimal prep time, you have to give this recipe a try!
Ingredients for Making Beef Short Ribs in the Instant Pot
- Short Ribs - You want about 4 pounds of English style bone-in beef short ribs.
- Beef Broth - I recommend making your own from beef bones if possible, but you can also use store-bought.
- Red Wine - Cooking with wine adds rich flavor, but you can substitute for more beef broth if you prefer.
- Xanthan Gum - This will be added to the liquid at the very end to thicken it into a flavorful sauce.
- Dry Rub Seasonings - Smoked paprika, garlic powder, and mustard powder make the short ribs irresistible.
- Salt and Pepper - So important for bringing out the flavor of the meat.
Tips & Tricks
- Don't skimp on the salt and pepper. They really make a difference in the overall flavor of the dish. If possible, I recommend applying the dry rub, salt, and pepper the night before and allowing the short ribs to season overnight.
- After the 45 minute cook time, allow the pressure to naturally release. If you use a quick release, the meat will not be as tender.
- To enrich the flavor, you can brown the meat in the Instant Pot after cooking. Simply add oil, then cook the ribs until brown, scraping up the brown bits when you make the sauce. You can also put the ribs under the broiler to make them crispy.
- Add Keto BBQ sauce for a fun twist. After you cook the beef short ribs in the Instant Pot, simply toss the ribs in the barbecue sauce. Place them under the broiler for a few minutes.
- This recipe works in any kind of pressure cooker, not just an Instant Pot. You can make these pressure cooker beef ribs in the Ninja Foodi, Power Pressure Cooker XL, or any similar device.
- The sauce is like an easy-to-make gravy, so I highly recommend serving beef short ribs over Keto Mashed Cauliflower to soak it all up.
- Add a little green to your plate with this easy Keto Asparagus recipe that can be made in the air fryer or the oven.
- Keto Brussels Sprouts are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, with a smoky flavor that really takes them to the next level!
Slow Cooker Instructions
Would you rather handle prep in the morning and have this meal ready to go for dinner? Then the slow cooker method is for you!
You’ll follow the same steps, but add the ingredients to your slow cooker instead of your pressure cooker (no trivet needed). Then, cook the beef short ribs on low for 8 to 12 hours.
To make the sauce, I recommend transferring the liquid from the slow cooker to a pan, then bring it to a boil on the stovetop. Stir in the xanthan gum and continue cooking until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Beef ribs are taken from the rib section along the back of the cow and will be longer than short ribs. Short ribs are taken from the plate cut, which is the lower section of the ribs that runs towards the cow’s belly. Short ribs have more meat on them and usually turn out more tender.
I recommend cooking pressure cooker beef ribs to 203 ° F. This will ensure that they are extremely tender and fall right off the bone.
When you use high pressure, make sure to cook the beef short ribs for at least 45 minutes. That way, you’ll know that they are fully cooked and perfectly tender.
This will depend on the size of your short ribs. A good rule of thumb is to ask your butcher for about a 1/2 pound of meat per person.
The trivet is a raised steam rack. It sits inside the Instant Pot to keep the meat above the liquid, allowing for it to steam.
Yes you can! I would recommend adding five minutes to the manual cook time to ensure the frozen beef ribs are fully cooked. You can also expect that it will take the Instant Pot longer to come to pressure before it begins cooking.
Tools Needed to Make Instant Pot Short Ribs
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
Short ribs make fantastic leftovers! I usually try to buy extra so I know I’ll have some to enjoy the next day.
When stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator, they will stay fresh for 4 days. For longer storage, you could also freeze the meat for up to 3 months.
How To Make Instant Pot Beef Ribs
In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, sea salt, garlic powder, fresh ground black paper, and mustard powder. Dry the beef ribs with a paper towel.
Next, sprinkle the dry rub over the short ribs, then allow them to sit at room temperature for 1 hour or in the refrigerator overnight.
Place the trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the broth and red wine.
Arrange the beef ribs on top of the trivet, then lock the lid in place and select high pressure. Cook for 45 minutes, then allow the pressure to release naturally.
Carefully remove the ribs from the pot and set aside to rest for at least 15 minutes.
On the electric pressure cooker, select high sauté and bring the liquid to a boil. Stir in the xanthan gum and cook until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
You May Also Like These Keto Beef Recipes
- For classic comfort food without the carbs, try this easy Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole.
- This Stuffed Flank Steak with Bacon, Spinach, and Feta only requires a handful of ingredients for a shockingly delicious dish.
- When you’re in the mood for a cozy, filling meal, it doesn’t get much better than Keto Beef Stroganoff!
- If your family loves pizza as much as mine, then this Bacon Cheeseburger Pizza is sure to be a new favorite in your household.
Instant Pot Beef Ribs
- In a small bowl, combine the smoked paprika, sea salt, garlic powder, fresh ground black paper, and mustard powder. Sprinkle over the short ribs. Allow them to sit at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- Place the trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the broth and red wine.
- Arrange the beef ribs on top of the trivet. Lock the lid in place and select high pressure. Cook for 45 minutes, and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Carefully remove the ribs from the pot.
- Select high sauté and bring the liquid to a boil. Stir in xanthan gum and cook until the sauce thickens about 5 minutes.