Looking for the best Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese? This is it! With cream cheese, extra-sharp cheddar, smoked gouda, and a punch of flavor from the spices, you won’t miss the carbs. This is cheesy comfort food at its best.
Since childhood, I have had an obsession with Macaroni and Cheese.
Some of my earliest culinary adventures involved creating what my kids have dubbed "Mom's World Famous Mac and Cheese".
I'll be honest - giving up pasta has been one of the hardest challenges for me in sticking to a keto diet.
While cauliflower will never exactly make up for pasta, this Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese is the best way I know to enjoy all the cheesy goodness, sans the carbs.
Ingredients for Making Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Keto
- Cauliflower: You can buy precut to save time.
- Oil: Use your favorite keto-friendly oil.
- Cream: If you are looking to make low carb mac n cheese and not keto, half and half may be used.
- Cheese: A blend of cream cheese, sharp cheddar, and smoked gouda adds a surprising depth of flavor.
- Seasonings: I used garlic powder, ground mustard, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Omit the cayenne if you don’t like heat.
Tips & Tricks
- This recipe tastes best with good quality fresh grated cheese. The quality of cheese that you use will significantly impact the overall flavor of your low carb mac and cheese.
- Make sure your heat isn't too high before adding in the cheese. Too much heat can cause the fat to separate from the cheese and cause the sauce to be clumpy and stringy.
Keto mac and cheese makes a great vegetarian main course, but here are some suggestions if you are looking for more.
- Steak is a great option, and perfect for special occasions. This Steak Marinade takes things to the next level.
- A simple Caesar Salad is a lovely side. You can make it with chicken or without.
Frequently Asked Questions
Recipes vary, of course, but this cheesy recipe has about 7 net carbs per serving.
Yes! This recipe can be made up to two days ahead of time and kept covered in the refrigerator.
Make sure that you let the casserole dish come to room temperature for baking if it is ceramic or glass to avoid cracking. Or you can put the casserole in the oven as you preheat it to allow it to heat up gradually.
I don't recommend it. The loss in texture is pretty significant.
Gouda cauliflower mac and cheese can be stored for about three days. Keep it sealed in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven or microwave.
How to Make This Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Recipe
Here are step by step instructions for those of you who are visual. See below for the full recipe with measurements.
First, start by cutting a head of cauliflower into florets. Arrange on a prepared baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Bake.
Next, while the cauliflower is baking, bring the cream to a simmer in a large pot. Add cream cheese and cook until the cream cheese melts.
Reduce the heat and stir in half of the cheddar cheese and all of the gouda.
Whisk until smooth and then sprinkle in the seasonings. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Add the cauliflower to the pan and toss to coat.
Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake.
You May Also Like
- Looking for an easy main course recipe that is always a hit? This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken is perfect!
- Craving comfort food? You are going to go wild for this Cheesy Keto Meatball Casserole!
- Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan are a delicious side that never gets old.
Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese diced
- 1 ½ cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the cauliflower florets in a single layer.
- Drizzle with oil and toss. Bake for 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the cream to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat whisking often. Stir in cream cheese, and cook until the cream cheese melts.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in the ¾ cup of the cheddar cheese and the gouda cheese.
- Sprinkle with the garlic powder, ground mustard, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook until the cheese melts, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower to the pot and toss to coat. Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 9 casserole dish. Top with the remaining ¾ cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. If desired, you can broil for a few minutes to brown the top.
More Keto Cauliflower Recipes
- Keto Cauliflower Wings never fail to delight and satisfy! Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, this one is loaded with flavor.
- Roasted Cauliflower is an easy to make side that is perfect with chicken or beef. Even kids love this one.
- Cauliflower Breadsticks are a delicious side that also makes a great snack.