Whether it is a holiday morning or leisurely weekend brunch, this Keto Breakfast Casserole is sure to be a hit! You don't have to be on a keto diet to enjoy this tasty and easy-to-prepare breakfast casserole. It is quick and easy to make and so delicious.
Don't you love keto recipes that are easy to make and perfect for a crowd?
This Keto Breakfast Casserole is perfect for your next brunch. Or you can make it on the weekend for meal prep and enjoy leftovers throughout the week.
Either way - this is one of the best ways I know to start the day.
Ingredients for Making Breakfast Casserole Keto
- Sausage: I used breakfast sausage, but you could also use Italian sausage that you have removed from its casings and crumbled.
- Spinach: If you happen to have fresh spinach on hand, you can chop it and saute it with the spinach until it wilds. Don't like spinach?
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese is a classic addition to this keto-friendly breakfast casserole, but feel free to use whatever cheese you like.
- Eggs: I used large eggs, but this recipe isn't fussy. Use whatever you happen to have on hand.
- Cream: Heavy whipping ream works best here.
- Sour Cream: I love the tangy flavor that sour cream adds. You could use cottage cheese in its place if you like.
- Seasonings: Mustard, salt, and pepper add just the right amount of flavor. Feel free to add in a teaspoon of garlic powder or for a kick of heat, add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
How to Tell if a Breakfast Casserole is Done
If you have an Instant-Read Thermometer, insert it into the center of the casserole dish. The egg casserole is done when it shows 160° F.
If you don't have a thermometer on hand, insert a knife or long toothpick into the center of the dish. The casserole is fully cooked when it comes out clean.
Mix it Up! Other Veggies that are Good In a Low Carb Breakfast Casserole
- Red Pepper
Change Up the Protein! These are great options
- Ham Chunks
- Diced Turkey
How To Freeze Keto Breakfast Casserole
If you'd like to freeze this keto low carb casserole, let it come to room temperature.
Cover the casserole with a layer of freezer paper and then a layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Freeze for up to three months.
How to Reheat Breakfast Casserole
If frozen, I recommend thawing this egg and sausage casserole overnight in the refrigerator.
You can reheat it in the microwave or the oven.
My personal preference is the oven. If the dish you are heating is glass and cold, let it come to room temperature before cooking, or place it in a cold oven and allow the dish to heat with the oven. (This prevents the it from cracking.)
Tools Needed to Make Keto Sausage Breakfast Casserole
As an Amazon Associate, I Earn from Qualifying Sales
- Large Casserole Dish
- Instant-Read Thermometer
- Large Skillet
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Eggs Low Carb?
Eggs are great for a keto diet! One egg only has .6 grams of carbohydrates. It has 5 grams of fat and 7 grams of protein.
Could I Make These Into Muffins?
Yes, you can use this recipe to make egg muffins. Cook the sausage and spinach as directed.
Add the browned sausage and spinach to prepared muffin tins and top with the cheese.
Pour the egg mixture over it, and bake at 350° F for 20 to 25 minutes, until set.
Can You Make This Keto Egg Bake Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! You can make this breakfast keto casserole up to a day ahead of time and keep it covered with plastic wrap n the fridge for up to one day.
Leftovers may be frozen or stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
How To Make Keto Breakfast Casserole
First, start by preheating your oven and preparing a large baking dish by greasing it or spraying it with a keto-friendly cooking spray.
Heat a skillet to medium-high heat and spray with oil.
Crumble the sausage and cook it until browned using the back of a spoon to break it up.
Add the spinach to the skillet and cook for another two minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a prepared baking dish and top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
Stir together the remaining ingredients and pour it over the sausage and spinach.
Bake until the eggs are cooked through, and an instant-read thermometer registers 160° F.
More Keto Breakfast Recipes
- Keto Biscuits with Sausage Gravy are so good that even your non-keto friends and family will beg for them again and again.
- Looking for something you can make ahead? This Keto Yogurt Recipe is perfect!
- Keto Egg Muffins are infinitely adaptable and the best way I know of to mix up your breakfast routine.
- Eggs and bacon in the confines of a single dish? Yes, please! This Keto Crustless Quiche is always a hit.
Keto Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage crumbled
- 8 ounces frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F. Grease a large baking dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Crumble the sausage and cook it until browned, about 8 minutes, using the back of a spoon to continue to break it up. Add the spinach and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with the cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, sour cream, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the sausage and spinach.
- Bake until the eggs are firm, about 50 minutes.