When you are tired of the same old, same old, this Keto Chicken Casserole is guaranteed to liven dinnertime up. Sautéed onion, poblano peppers, and chipotle chili peppers are tossed with oregano and chicken and then covered in a light sauce. Top it off with goat cheese and mozzarella, and you have got a party in your mouth!
It is no secret that I love casseroles, and picking a favorite would be difficult.
This Keto Chicken Broccoli Casserole is one that the whole family loves. And this Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole is a personal favorite of mine.
Don't even get me started on how much I love this Keto Reuben Casserole.
But when I want to mix things up, it is this Keto Chicken Casserole. Goat cheese plays beautifully with sauteed onions and poblano pepper, and chipotle chile peppers add the perfect touch of smoky heat.
This dish is one I am tempted to hide leftovers of under the kale. That way, the family won't eat it before I can!
Ingredients for Making Low Carb Chicken Casserole
- Avocado Oil - I almost always use avocado oil for cooking because it is safe at higher temperatures. You could use olive oil here, just be aware of the smoke point and don't use extra-virgin.
- Onion - I used a white onion; feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- Poblano Peppers - Poblano peppers are very mild, so even if you don't like heat, they are great here. If you can't find them, a red pepper would work.
- Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce - Find these in small cans in the ethnic section of your grocery store. They aren't expensive, and you will not use nearly all of the can. I freeze leftovers in a flat zip-top bag so that I can break a pepper or two off the next time I need them. It offers a subtle smokey heat. If you despise heat, skip this ingredient.
- Oregano - If you have it, 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped oregano is great here.
- Salt and Pepper - My preference is for finely ground sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Chicken - I usually make chicken during meal prep. Short on time? Pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.
- Eggs - Large pastured eggs are best here.
- Broth - I use homemade because it is more economical and tastes better; whatever you have on hand works.
- Cream - If you are keto, stick to heavy cream. Low carb? Half and half works too.
- Goat Cheese - I like to buy the full log and then crumble it because I think the flavor is better than pre-crumbled.
- Mozzarella - I used a block of mozzarella that I shredded. I think this Keto Chicken Casserole would also be fabulous with fresh mozzarella.
Don't miss my Keto Chicken Casserole Story.
Can You Have Rotisserie Chicken on Keto?
You sure can! Just make sure that there isn't any sugar in the brine or rub.
You can make this casserole up to one day ahead of time. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for four days or frozen for up to three months.
How to Make Keto Chicken Casserole
First, start by preheating your oven.
Heat the oil in a skillet and sautee the onion and poblano pepper until they are tender about 6 minutes.
Add the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, and oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper.
(I used ¾ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper; this depends on how salty the chicken you are using is.)
Stir in the chicken and transfer the mixture to a casserole dish.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and then stir in the broth and cream.
Pour the egg mixture over the chicken and vegetable mixture.
Top with the cheese and then bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
You May Also Like
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole has all the flavors of your favorite dip in a delicious casserole that you are going to love.
- If you like BBQ Chicken, you are going to go wild for this BBQ Chicken Casserole. Even the kids will beg you to make this one.
- Craving Chicken Parmesan but looking for something easier? This Keto Chicken Parmesan Casserole is perfection!
Keto Chicken Casserole
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ½ cup chopped onion diced
- 2 poblano peppers seeded and diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce diced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and poblano pepper and cook until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chicken and then transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl, and then stir in the broth and cream.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables.
- Top with the crumbled goat cheese and shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Leave a Reply