This Keto Chocolate Smoothie is sweet, refreshing, and satisfying all at once. It is pure goodness in a glass. The addition of avocado, while optional, makes it so creamy and rich. This recipe is quick to make and makes an energizing snack or breakfast.
This Keto Chocolate Smoothie Makes Mornings Easier!
Although I am firmly in the savory breakfast camp, there are days when I wake up craving something sweet. Sometimes I've prepped ahead and can enjoy my Keto Chia Pudding or Granola Bars. But other days, I am more hurried.
On those mornings, it is smoothies all around at our house!
This Keto Chocolate Smoothie comes together in a snap, and is so good!
Best of all it is easily adaptable!
I often make my smoothies thinner (like the one pictured), because that is the only way two of my kids will drink them.
If you are like me and prefer a thicker smoothie, just add ice, avocado, or even frozen almond milk. (I've got instructions in the notes.)
This delicious chocolate smoothie will fuel your day in a totally low carb and keto-friendly way.
No more excuses for morning slips!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of MCT oil?
MCT oil is a medium-chain triglyceride oil and a saturated fat. We have all been lead to believe that all saturated fats are bad, but research has shown that this does not apply to MCT oil. It is the easiest fat for the body to convert into ketones, and studies suggest that it aids weight loss efforts by supporting healthy metabolic function. MCTs have a tendency to be burned as energy rather than stored as fat.
What are the benefits of collagen protein?
Collagen protein is great for the skin! Studies support this, but I can also tell you that I see a tremendous difference in my skin when I use it versus when I don't. Collagen, specifically type-11 collagen, also supports healthy bones and joints. If gut health is an issue, you will be happy to know that studies suggest that glycine, an amino acid found in collagen may help to reduce GI inflammation.
Tips and Tricks
- For a thick and creamy smoothie without watering down the taste with ice cubes, freeze the coconut milk and/or almond milk in an ice cube tray.
- You can also freeze the avocado! (Believe it or not!)
- If you are adding ice (or milk that you have frozen), crush the ice if your blender doesn’t have a powerful motor.
- Store leftovers in a large mason jar and shake well before serving.
- For meal prep, I like to make small snack baggies on the weekend filled with the collagen protein, Swerve, and cocoa powder. This advanced preparation makes one less thing I have to do in the morning. (Of course, if you are the only one in your house drinking this you will just have leftovers.
- Feel free to half or even quarter this recipe. (If you click on the servings in any of my recipe cards, it will open a slider where you can scale up or down the recipe!)
Variations for This Recipe
- Add 1 scoop of any keto-friendly protein powder in place of the collagen protein.
- Use heavy whipping cream in place of the coconut milk.
- Add 2 tablespoons hemp seeds or ground chia seeds.
- Cacao powder may be used in place of the unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Add a cup of brewed and chilled coffee in place of 1 cup of almond milk.
- Add 2 tablespoons peanut butter powder.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- Keto Peanut Butter Cups are a delicious sweet treat that will never get oil.
- Dessert or breakfast? Either way you are going to love this Keto Chia Pudding.
- When a chocolate craving comes calling and dessert is on the menu, you can't do much better than this Keto Chocolate Pudding.
Keto Chocolate Smoothie Recipe
Who says you can't have chocolate for breakfast? This Keto Chocolate Smoothie is a fun and refreshing treat that happens to be loaded with nutrition. If you start your day with chocolate, only good things can happen. AMIRIGHT?
Keto Chocolate Smoothie
- High Speed Blender
- Place almond milk, coconut milk, avocado, cocoa powder, collagen protein, Swerve, MCT oil, and vanilla in a high speed blender.
- Process until smooth.
- If desired add ice and process until crushed.