Keto Chicken Drumsticks are a family-friendly favorite that I turn to again and again! The zingy marinade has just a handful of ingredients and delivers moist and flavorful chicken every time. Serve this with Keto Coleslaw or Cauliflower Mac and Cheese for a delicious meal that is so satisfying.
With summer break coming to an end in many places, we are entering into one of the busiest times of year for moms. Keeping dinner simple is so important to stick to our low-carb way of life.
That means choosing meals that the whole family will enjoy, rather than trying to make one meal for yourself and another for the family.
These easy keto chicken drumsticks are the perfect start to an easy dinner that will keep the whole family happy!
Ingredients for Making Keto Chicken Legs
- Chicken Legs: Bone-in skin-on chicken legs are best here.
- Avocado Oil: Avocado oil is my go-to for high heat cooking.
- Coconut Aminos: This is a gluten-free and soy-free alternative to soy sauce that is keto-friendly.
- Mustard: I used Dijon mustard, but grainy brown mustard would work as well.
- Garlic: You can substitute garlic powder if you prefer.
- Salt and Pepper: Adjust the amount to your personal preference.
- Red Chili Flakes: This is not enough to make the chicken legs spicy; it just adds a very subtle flavor. Feel free to increase or omit if you want more or less heat.
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure you flip halfway through to ensure even cooking and browning.
- When cooking chicken legs, use a meat thermometer to determine doneness.
Frequently Asked Questions
The actual time will vary depending on the size of the drumsticks, but you should expect it to take between 25 and 30 minutes for the internal temperature to reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit. At this point, let the chicken rest for 5 to 10 minutes until your low-carb chicken legs reach 165 degrees.
Yes! As long as they have not been previously frozen, you can freeze drumsticks. One of my favorite hacks is to freeze them in the marinade, so all that I have to do is thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and cook.
Yes. You can freeze cooked chicken for up to three months. I prefer to take it off the bone and freeze it in individual portions, but this is entirely up to you.
I recommend using avocado oil for high heat cooking. Olive oil can be used as long as it is not extra virgin.
Canola oil is an oil I recommend avoiding. It contains trans fats and is generally considered unhealthy. You can read more about that here.
Tools Needed to Make This Keto Drumstick Recipe
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
You will need either an Air Fryer, Ninja Foodi Grill, or a parchment-lined baking sheet. An instant-read thermometer is also recommended.
Store these drumsticks in the refrigerator for up to three or four days.
How to Make Keto Chicken Drumsticks
Start by marinating the chicken in avocado oil, coconut aminos, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes.
Just an hour will make a difference, but if you have time overnight gives a full flavor.
Drain the chicken.
Air Fryer Keto Chicken Legs
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Arrange the chicken in a single layer, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook for 10 minutes.
Flip the chicken, and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160° F.
Allow the chicken to rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Ninja Foodi Grill Chicken Drumsticks
Preheat your grill to grill-medium and set the timer for 15 minutes.
Add the chicken in a single layer to the grill - don’t overcrowd!
Cook, flipping halfway through until the internal temperature is 160° F.
Allow to rest and then serve.
Keto Baked Drumsticks
Start by preheating the oven and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place a rack on top of the baking sheet.
Arrange the chicken in a single layer and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Allow the chicken to rest on a cooling rack before serving.
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- This Keto Chicken Carbonara is rich and satisfying. Easy enough for a weeknight and fancy enough for entertaining.
- Keto Cream Cheese Chicken is a family favorite! This is one that both kids and adults can agree on.
- If you like to grill, don’t miss these Keto Grilled Chicken Thighs!
- Everything Bagel Chicken is easy to make and full of flavor!
Keto Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 pounds chicken legs
- ½ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag.
- Combine the avocado oil, coconut aminos, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes.
- Pour over the chicken and coat the chicken. Let it marinate at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the chicken from the marinade.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400° F.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes until the internal temperature is 160° F.
- Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Ninja Foodi Grill
- Set your Ninja Grill to GRILL MEDIUM. Set the timer to 15 minutes.
- When it is preheated, add the chicken in a single layer.
- Cook, flipping halfway though until the internal temperature is 160° F
- Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 420° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a rack on it.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer on the rack.
- Cook the chicken for 25 to 30 minutes until the internal temperature is 160° F.
Thiis is the BEST chicken recipe I have ever tasted! You have to try it!!!! My husband does not really care for chicken, but he said this is an absolute keeper!
Yay! I am glad that you liked it.