When you are craving comfort food, this Keto Chicken Mushroom Casserole is absolute perfection! Buttery chicken compliments perfectly seasoned sautéed mushrooms and onions. We add a kick of garlic and sautéed spinach and then toss it all in a creamy cheese sauce. Finish with a sprinkling of gruyere cheese for a delicious meal that will leave your tastebuds doing a happy dance.
If you love delicious keto chicken recipes as much as I do, you are going to love this easy to make casserole. If you have tried my Mushroom Soup, my Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms, or my Keto Stuffed Mushrooms, you know how much I love mushrooms.
This Low Carb Chicken Mushroom Casserole continues my love affair with mushrooms in a creamy casserole that makes an easy keto meal perfect for those times when time is tight.
This recipe is rich and creamy, but I’ve thrown in some spinach so we can feel at least a little virtuous about this indulgent goodness.
I made this in a skillet and then transferred it to a casserole dish, but you could do this in an oven-safe skillet for an easy one-pan meal.
Ingredients for Making Keto Mushroom Chicken Casserole
- Butter - If you prefer, olive oil, avocado oil, or ghee will work. I happen to like the buttery flavor.
- Chicken - Any boneless chicken works here. Technically, chicken thighs are more keto-friendly since they are higher in fat.
- Mushrooms - Use whatever type of mushrooms you prefer; just make sure you chop them to a fairly uniform size. To save time in making this mushroom chicken bake, you can always buy pre-sliced mushrooms. Just don’t forget to wash them!
- Thyme - I intended to make this recipe with fresh thyme. Unfortunately, my thyme plant died, and the grocery store did not have any in stock. If you are in the same situation, rest assured, my family loved this dish even with dried thyme.
- Salt and Pepper - I give amounts because so many people will leave it off entirely or under-season if I don’t. Feel free to adjust to your preferences.
- Garlic - If you don’t have fresh, ½ teaspoon of dried garlic will work.
- Spinach - Frozen spinach is a real time saver here. If you want to use fresh, make sure you sauté it and get most of the water out. Otherwise, you will have a soggy chicken bake on your hands.
- Broth - Make sure you check out my Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth Recipe. It is super-easy to make and a fabulous way to save money.
- Cream Cheese - Make sure you are using full fat. If you prefer to use sour cream, you can; just make sure that you don’t stir it in until you remove the mixture from the stovetop.
- Gruyere Cheese - Gruyere offers an extra pop of flavor, and I love the way it plays off the mushrooms. Any cheese that you like will work here.
Variations and Suggestions
- Add in frozen broccoli in place of the spinach.
- Reduce the chicken broth by ¼ cup and instead use ¼ cup dry white wine to deglaze the pan. Add in the broth, and remaining ingredients after the pan is deglazed.
- I used chicken breasts, but chicken thighs work just as well for this low carb chicken mushroom casserole.
- To make the chicken even more flavorful, toss it with thyme, salt, and pepper and let it sit for at least an hour or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- To make this recipe even easier, you can also use leftover rotisserie chicken.
This easy casserole can be made up to one day ahead of time and cooked just before serving. Make sure you pull the casserole dish out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature before baking.
Alternatively, you can place the casserole dish in a cold oven and let the dish and oven preheat together.
Storage and Reheating Keto Mushroom Chicken Casserole
This recipe will keep tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to three days. I recommend reheating it in a 350° F oven in a dish covered with foil for about 15 minutes, or until heated through.
You can freeze this recipe for up to two months. I like to freeze it in individual portions and thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before heating. Cover with foil and bake until heated through.
I think of this chicken mushroom keto casserole as a meal in itself. However, if you would like to bulk the meal up, you can serve this recipe over zucchini noodles, cabbage noodles, or mashed cauliflower.
Keto Chicken Mushroom Casserole
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 pound chicken cubed
- 5 ounces mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes, until browned. Remove from the skillet.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, thyme, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Cook for 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and spinach and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the chicken broth and cream cheese to the pan and cook until the cream cheese melts.
- Stir in the chicken.
- Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish and top with cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.