Creamy and delicious Keto Egg Salad is simple to make and great enjoyed so many different ways! It’s packed with protein and healthy fats to fill you up and give you energy for hours. You can either throw it together for a quick and easy low-carb lunch or snack or prep it ahead of time for a nutritious grab-and-go meal. (Who doesn’t love having a pre-made lunch on a busy day?)
When it comes to eating keto, eggs are pretty much a perfect food. They’re a great source of fat and protein while naturally very low in carbs. Plus, there are so many delicious ways to prepare them.
Looking for ways to enjoy eggs outside of breakfast? Then you’re going to love this super easy Keto Egg Salad! It’s creamy, delicious, and will give you energy for hours.
It’s simple enough that you can throw it together for a quick and easy lunch or snack.
But you can also use this Keto Egg Salad recipe for meal prep! (Just like chicken salad.) It keeps very well in the refrigerator so you have a nutritious meal or snack ready any time.
(I like to make it into a wrap with lettuce leaves.)
Once you give it a try, I have a feeling you’re going to want to make it all the time!
Ingredients for Making Keto Egg Salad Recipe
- Eggs — You want six large eggs for this recipe. (See the recipe card below for instructions on how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg.)
- Vegetables — I recommend chopped celery and minced onion to add flavor and texture.
- Mayonnaise — Make sure to use full-fat mayonnaise and look for a brand with no sugar added.
- Mustard — I recommend using dijon mustard. Grainy brown mustard would work as well.
- Lemon juice — Fresh squeezed is always best, but store-bought will also work.
- Seasonings — Celery salt, ground turmeric, and fresh ground black pepper will bring out the natural flavors of the ingredients.
Tips & Tricks
- Older eggs will be easier to peel than fresh ones. If you have eggs that are a few days or even a week old, I recommend using those.
- Want to spice things up? Feel free to add smoked paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, or any other seasonings you like!
- For some extra deliciousness and crunch, add pre-cooked bacon crumbles on top before serving.
- To really bring out the tangy flavor, mix in some no-sugar-added pickle relish or chopped pickles.
What Do You Eat With Egg Salad On Keto
- Keto Chaffles are perfect to use as the “bread” for your low-carb Egg Salad sandwich! (You can also buy gluten free keto bread.)
- If you want to add some low-carb crunch and an extra kick of flavor, whip up a batch of these easy Keto Crackers.
- You can’t go wrong scooping up Egg Salad with crispy, crunchy Keto Low Carb Tortilla Chips!
- Six ingredient Keto Cheese Chips are always a crowd-pleaser and will stay fresh for up to four days.
- For a simple dish that incorporates some greens, just serve the Egg Salad over fresh greens or use it to make lettuce wraps.
- You can also enjoy this Simple Egg Salad all on its own! My favorite way to eat it is with a fork.
Frequently Asked Questions
While this Egg Salad recipe is keto, not all egg salads are created equal. Many versions are served on bread and may even have added sugar or breadcrumbs that can pack in unwanted carbs.
Egg Salad is one of those dishes that I recommend making at home unless the nutrition label lists all ingredients.
You want to make sure there aren’t any hidden ingredients that could knock you out of ketosis!
First and foremost, always use full-fat mayonnaise.
This shouldn’t be an issue for anyone on a keto diet, but if you’ve ever had a gross, runny egg salad in the past, there’s a good chance they were using low-fat mayo.
Next, make sure not to cook the eggs for too long. Overcooked eggs can get watery, which is why it’s so important to dunk them right in the ice bath as soon as they’re done cooking.
Absolutely! …as long as you choose the right brand. To keep this Egg Salad Recipe keto, you want a full-fat mayonnaise with no added sugar.
Some versions of keto also recommend avoiding processed oils that are high in polyunsaturated fatty acids, which can be found in soybean, corn, sunflower, canola, and peanut oil. In that case, I recommend finding a brand of mayonnaise that uses avocado oil or MCT oil.
Each serving has X grams of carbohydrates and X grams of fiber. That leaves us with only X net carbs.
There are tons of great keto friendly brands of mayonnaise on the market today.
You should be able to find a few at your local grocery store, or you can always order them online.
I recommend Chosen Foods Classic Mayo or Keto Mayo, Sir Kensington’s Avocado Oil Mayonnaise, or Primal Kitchen Mayo with Avocado Oil. If you choose another brand, make sure you read the label to check out the nutritional information.
How to Make Keto Egg Salad
In a saucepan, bring 1 inch of water to a rolling boil over high heat.
Place the eggs in a steamer basket. Place the steamer basket over the hot water, then cover and reduce the heat to medium-low.
Cook for 13 minutes. While the eggs are cooking, fill a large bowl with ice cubes and water.
When the cooking time is up, use a slotted spoon to remove from the heat. Transfer the eggs to the ice bath. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Peel and chop the eggs, then place them in a large bowl.Toss with the celery and onion.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, celery salt, turmeric, and fresh ground black pepper.
Add the mayonnaise mixture to the egg mixture and toss to combine. If desired, you can mash with the back of a fork.
Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
You May Also Like These Egg Recipes
- Delicious and creamy Keto Deviled Eggs have just the right kick of heat to keep you reaching for more!
- Grab and go Keto Egg Muffins are the perfect solution to simplify your mornings.
- Keto Egg Casserole combines eggs, sour cream, sausage, cheese, and seasonings for a tasty and filling way to start your day!
- When it comes to simple yet satisfying recipes, it doesn’t get much easier than Keto Scrambled Eggs with Sour Cream.
Don't miss my Keto Egg Salad Web Story.
Keto Egg Salad
- 6 large eggs
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Bring 1 inch of water to a rolling bowl over high heat. Place the eggs in a steamer basket. Transfer the basket to the saucepan. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 13 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, fill a large bowl with ice cubes and water.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to the ice bath and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Peel and chop the eggs and place them in a large bowl.
- Toss with the celery and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, celery salt, turmeric, and fresh ground black pepper.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the egg mixture and toss to combine. If desired, you can mash with the back of a fork.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Will definitely save this for breakfast! Thanks!
Journa Liz Ramirez
Been using this recipe on busy days! So glad I found this easy keto salad recipe. Thanks for this wonderful recipe Wendy!
This is a great recipe. Very flavorful and great lunch