Keto Instant Pot Cream Cheese Salsa Chicken is rich, creamy, and so satisfying! It is hard to believe such a simple recipe can pack so much flavor. This is a fabulous meal with a veggie side, and also a great way to elevate your tacos.
As much as I love to cook, there are many nights when I need something that basically prepares itself. Chicken salsa with cream cheese in the Instant Pot is one of those meals.
It takes just about 5 minutes of hands-on time and is rich, creamy, and SO delicious. You can serve it on a bed of cauliflower rice, use it in tacos, or lettuce wraps.
Either way, I think you will agree that this is one to keep in your arsenal.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast or Thighs: The star of our chicken salsa with cream cheese in the instant pot. You can use either breast or thighs based on your preference; breasts are leaner, while thighs offer a richer flavor.
- Chili Powder: This gives the dish a mild heat and depth of flavor. Feel free to adjust the amount according to your heat tolerance. For a smokier flavor, chipotle powder would be an excellent substitute - just watch the heat!
- Ground Cumin: Ground cumin adds a warm, earthy flavor.
- Smoked Paprika: This spice lends a smoky, sweet note to the dish. Regular paprika can be used as a substitute, but it won't have the same smoky flavor.
- Sea Salt: Used to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients. You can replace it with any salt you have on hand, keeping in mind that the salinity level may vary.
- Fresh Ground Pepper: Adds a bit of heat and complexity. While pre-ground pepper will work, freshly ground offers a more potent flavor.
- Sugar-Free Salsa: This adds a tangy, tomato-based flavor profile to our creamy salsa chicken in the Instant Pot. Any salsa will work, but remember that non-sugar-free versions will add additional sweetness and potentially more calories and carbs.
- Chicken Broth: Used to keep the chicken moist during cooking. Vegetable broth or even water can be used as a substitute.
- Cream Cheese: This gives the dish a rich, creamy texture.
Step by Step
- If you have keto taco seasoning on hand, omit the spice mixture and just use that.
- ½ teaspoon Mexican oregano is a nice addition to the spice mixture.
- If you aren't in the mood for Creamy instapot chicken salsa, just skip the cream cheese.
What Do You Serve Salsa Chicken With?
- This is sheer perfection served over Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice and garnished with avocado, shredded lettuce, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime.
- Make a taco salad. Use this recipe and sub out the beef for chicken.
- Use in Chicken Enchilada Casserole for an extra punch of flavor.
- It is fabulous in tacos or burritos.
- For a fun flavor mix, add 1 ounce of keto-friendly dry ranch dressing mix.
- Serve with low carb tortilla chips.
How Do I Know My Chicken Is Cooked?
The best way is to use an instant read thermometer. The chicken is cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. It should fall apart easily when you shred it with forks.
Instant Pot Tips
- This recipe uses timed natural pressure release. This means that we are going to let the chicken sit in the pot for a bit (7 minutes in this case) after the cooking program is done. This will prevent the forceful amount of steam that comes from using immediate quick release, and the chicken will continue to cook during this time period. Don't skip this step!
- You should still expect steam to release after the 7 minutes. I like to cover the pressure release with a thick cloth or use a pot holder to release the pressure.
- If you are having issues getting your instant pot to pressure, check to make sure that your sealing ring is properly seated in the lid. If you are still having issues, it may be time to replace it. On average, you can expect to replace the ring about once a year.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken?
Yes! You can use frozen chicken breast or chicken thighs. Just increase the cooking tip by about 7 minutes.
More Keto Instant Pot Recipes to Try:
- Keto Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms is an easy to make recipe that will surprise you with how flavorful it is.
- Low Carb Chili is an easy to make meal that never fails to satisfy.
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup is a simple and comforting soup recipe you will turn to again and again. Easy, cheesy goodness!
Instant Pot Cream Cheese Salsa Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup sugar-free salsa
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces cream cheese cubed
- For serving: jalapeños fresh cilantro, shredded iceberg lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream, or avocado
- In a small bowl combine the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the chicken breasts and place them in the instant pot.
- Top with the salsa and chicken broth.
- Press manual and set your Instant Pot to 12 minutes. (Increase this to 22 if they are frozen.) Seal the lid.
- Once the cooking is done, allow the pressure to naturally release for 7 minutes and then open the valve to quick release.
- Shred the chicken and return it to the pot. Add cream cheese and place the lid on the pot with the pot set to warm. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes, until the cream cheese is softened. Stir to combine.