Allow me to introduce you to one of my all-time favorite creations. I am passionate about Reubens, and this easy to make Keto Reuben Sandwich is my idea of perfection. When you combine a crispy buttery chaffle, melted cheese, corned beef, sauerkraut, and a delicious sauce, you have got mealtime bliss.
This Keto Reuben Sandwich is Cheesy, Buttery Goodness!
I am not quite sure when my love affair with Reuben Sandwiches began.
For years, I steered clear of them because my mom ingrained in me that sauerkraut was "gross." (Turns out I love it.)
The first time I ordered one out, I was at a cute lunch spot with a limited menu. I ordered it without sauerkraut - to be safe!
Over time, I got more adventurous with food, and the first time I ordered a Reuben as it comes, I was madly in love. I couldn't believe that I'd spent 20+ years avoiding sauerkraut.
We used to go to a little restaurant in Asheville called Chestnut that had the BEST Reuben ever.
As an Amazon Associate I Earn From Qualified Sales
It was full of cheesy, buttery goodness.
I ordered it every time we went.
Since going low carb, sandwiches are among the things that I miss the most. That is, I missed them until I started making chaffles.
If you haven't jumped on the chaffle bandwagon, what are you waiting for? They have been a game-changer for me in my ability to stick to a keto diet.
I am in love with this Keto Reuben Sandwich so much! I would have it on the menu every week if I could.
A couple of things to note about this recipe.
This is a big sandwich. I have never been able to eat a whole one. I save it and reheat the uneaten half in my air fryer for another meal.
Also, if you don't have a waffle iron and don't want to get one, any bread will do here. Just make sure it is sturdy enough to hold up to all the fillings. Happy eating!
Tips & Tricks
- I recommend using a skewer or toothpicks to secure the sandwich when you are cooking them.
- Alternatively, you can butter the outside of the chaffles and cook the sandwiches in the air fryer for about 5 minutes at 400 degrees.
How to Make a Keto Reuben Sandwich
1 First, make your chaffle by combining 1 egg, ½ cup mozzarella, 1 tablespoon almond flour, and 1 teaspoon ground caraway seeds in a bowl. (Skip this step if you are using keto-friendly bread.)
2 Stir to combine. Divide the mixture in two and spread half on a dash mini waffle maker. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Repeat with the other half.
3 Meanwhile, while the chaffles cook, combine mayonnaise, diced pickles, and sugar-free ketchup in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
4 Spread the sauce on one chaffle and place half of the meat on another.
5 Top the corned beef with cheese.
6 Finally, add the sauerkraut.
7 Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Cook the sandwiches for 4 minutes. Flip and cook for another 4 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sauerkraut isn’t my thing. What can I use?
I would suggest using a good keto-friendly coleslaw. Only then, technically your sandwich will not be a Reuben. It's now a Rachel!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn From Qualifying Sales
What kind of ketchup can I use on keto?
What is the best waffle iron for making chaffle sandwiches?
You can use any waffle iron, but I can't recommend the dash mini enough! This super-affordable waffle iron is perfect for sandwiches because it makes thin round waffles that are just the right size.
More Chaffle Recipes to Try
- Start the day off right with these Blueberry Chaffles. Even the kids will gobble these up!
- Breakfast doesn't get much better than this Keto Avocado Toast! So good!
- Peanut Butter Chaffles are the best keto-friendly way I know to get your chaffle fix!
- Don't miss my ultimate guide to chaffles! How to Make Chaffles.
Keto Reuben Sandwich Recipe
Think you have to give up your favorite delicious sandwiches when you go keto? Think again! People go crazy over these Keto Reubens. While adding caraway seeds to your chaffle is completely optional, I highly recommend giving it a try. This one deserves to become a habit.
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoons keto ketchup or other keto-friendly ketchup
- 2 tablespoons minced dill pickles
- 4 chaffles made according to this recipe, add 1 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds
- ¼ pound corned beef sliced thin
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 2 ounces Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, and dill pickles.
- Spread the mixture over the chaffles.
- Divide the corned beef between two of the chaffles.
- Top with half of the cheese and the sauerkraut.
- Place the remaining chaffles on top of the sauerkraut, sauce side down.
- Melt butter in a large skillet to medium heat.
- Cook the sandwiches for 4 minutes, and flip. Cook for another 4 minutes, or until the cheese melts.