When you are craving all your favorite southwestern flavors in a comforting bowl of soup, it doesn't get any better than this Keto Taco Soup. With a rich and creamy broth, this delicious soup is always a hit. Top it with your favorite fixings - I like shredded cheese, jalapeños, and cilantro - for a satisfying meal that never gets old.
Taco Tuesday has always been a thing in my house. (Seriously, can you ever go wrong with tacos?)
If you like tacos as much as I do, you are going to fall in love with this keto beef taco soup.
It has the flavors you love in the confines of one bowl and is one of my go-to keto recipes for the cooler months.
I often make it on the weekend for meal prep. Having an easy grab-and-go meal is one of the best ways I know to stay on track.
Best of all, this recipe is family-friendly. Even the kids agree that this one is a keeper.
Ingredients for Making Keto Taco Soup Recipe
- Ground Beef: You can use 90/10 or 80/20. If there is more fat than you wish to have in your soup, drain it after the vegetables are sauteed.
- Vegetables: Onions and red pepper add a pop of flavor. You could use green or yellow bell peppers if you prefer.
- Cream Cheese: Use full-fat cream cheese.
- Tomatoes: I used plained diced tomatoes, but you could also use the kind with peppers. (Like Rotel tomatoes.)
- Broth: If you don't have beef broth, you could use chicken or vegetable broth.
- Green Chilies: I used mild to keep this recipe kid-friendly. You can use hot chilies if you prefer.
- Taco Seasoning: I use homemade taco seasoning. If you don't have taco seasoning, a blend of chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder and salt may be used. If you want to buy taco seasoning, make sure you read the label to avoid added sugars or unwanted carbohydrates.
Don't miss my Keto Taco Soup Web Story.
Tips & Tricks
- To make the soup even creamier, you can substitute ½ cup heavy cream for ½ cup of broth.
- Ground turkey may be used in place of the ground beef.
- For bolder flavors and a touch of heat, add one teaspoon minced garlic and ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Easy Keto Taco Soup Toppings
- Shredded Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes
- Sour Cream
- Lime Juice
- Low Carb Tortilla Chips
This comforting taco soup is a meal by itself! If you would like to serve it with something else, here are some suggestions.
- Keto Taco Salad makes a great pair!
- For extra crunch, serve this soup with Keto Cheese Chips. (For even more fun, this Keto Guacamole is always a hit.)
- If you are missing bread, you can't go wrong with Keto Cheese Breadsticks.
Frequently Asked Questions
That depends on how it is made. Many recipes contain corn and beans and may also be thickened with flour. These things make them non-keto friendly.
We have skipped these things, making this taco soup recipe keto friendly. It is perfectly suited for your low carb diet.
Yes, other meat will work just fine here. Ground turkey or cooked and shredded chicken are both great options.
That is going to depend on the brand.
Many have sugar or other additives which can add carbohydrates, so it is always important to read the label. Some also contain gluten.
I like to avoid this by making Keto Taco Seasoning.
Tools Needed to Make Low Carb Taco Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I Earn From Qualifying Sales
- Dutch Oven (I used the Instant Pot Dutch Oven which I love!)
- Large Spoon
How Long Does Taco Soup Last?
This soup can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Can You Freeze Taco Soup?
You can freeze this taco soup in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
To serve, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat it over low heat in a saucepan.
The cream cheese can cause some separation, but I've found that reheating gently and stirring often reduces this.
How to Make Keto Taco Soup
To make keto creamy taco soup, start by browning the ground beef over medium-high heat in a large dutch oven.
Add the onions and red bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
If you would like, you can drain any excess fat.
Reduce the temperature to medium heat.
Add the cubed cream cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
Add the tomatoes, broth, green chilies, and taco seasoning.
Bring to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to low.
Cook for 25 minutes.
More Keto Soup Recipes
- Want all the flavors of your favorite burger in a delicious and comforting soup? You are going to love this Keto Cheeseburger Soup.
- Move over potato soup! This Keto Cauliflower Soup has the flavors of loaded potato soup without the carbs.
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie Soup is so comforting! This is one I never get tired of!
- I keep this Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup in my freezer at all times for those days when I don't have time to cook.
Keto Taco Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced red pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese cubed
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 4 ounces mild green chilies
- 2 tablespoons keto taco seasoning
- For topping: shredded cheese jalapeños, lime juice, sour cream, cilantro
- Brown the ground beef in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and red bell pepper and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Drain excess fat if desired.
- Reduce to medium heat.
- Add the cream cheese and cook until the cheese melts.
- Add the tomatoes, beef broth, mild green chilies, and taco seasoning.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook for 25 minutes.