If you're looking for a delicious appetizer or meal that is packed with flavor, then keto air fryer chicken wings are perfect. In this post, I’ll show you how to make crispy and juicy chicken wings at home in less than 30 minutes. So get ready, fire up your air fryer, and let’s get cooking.
My air fryer is one of my favorite tools in my keto kitchen. From keto fried pickles, low carb tortilla chips, and keto chicken parmesan, I turn to this handy kitchen appliance time and again.
Today, I’m going to show you how easy it is to make crispy and juicy keto chicken wings in an air fryer.
So keep reading if you want to know more about how to make some really tasty keto-friendly wings!
- Chicken Wings: You can use flats or drumettes to make keto wings in the air fryer..
- Baking powder: Aluminum-free baking powder helps to ensure crispy chicken wings. (If you don’t have it or don’t want to use it, feel free to omit it.)
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder adds a nice garlicky flavor and doesn’t burn as easily as fresh minced garlic.
- Sea salt: The general rule is one pound of salt per pound of meat, but you can adjust the seasoning to your liking. (Just don’t skip seasoning your keto air fryer wings.)
- Smoked paprika: Also called pimenton, this adds a smoky flavor to the wings. Most smoked paprika is mild, but you can also find it hot, so be aware of what type you are using and adjust to your liking.
- Pepper: Freshly ground black pepper adds an extra kick to this recipe.
- Cooking Spray: I use avocado oil, but you can use your favorite keto-friendly oil to make this chicken wing recipe.
First, start by drying the wings with paper towels. This removes excess moisture, allowing them to crisp up nicely in the air fryer.
Next, stir together the baking powder, garlic powder, salt, smoked paprika and black pepper in a small dish.
Put your wings into a large bowl and sprinkle on the seasoning mix. Toss to coat the wings evenly.
Preheat your air fryer to 400° F.
Once the temperature is reached, add the wings in a single layer into the air fryer basket. Spray lightly with cooking spray or brush with butter.
Air fry for 20-25 minutes, turning them over after 10 minutes.
Keep an eye on them as they cook, as cooking times may vary depending on your air fryer model.
When the skin is crispy, and wings are cooked through to an internal temperature of 165° F, remove them from the air fryer and toss with your favorite keto-friendly sauce if desired.
Serve immediately for best results! Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- If you like a spicier version of this recipe, add some cayenne pepper to the seasoning mix. You can also serve it with a spicy buffalo or bbq sauce.
- You can adjust the amount of seasoning mix according to your preference.
- If you don't have an air fryer, you can still make these wings in the oven. Preheat your oven to 400° F and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
Toss your chicken wings with buffalo sauce, your favorite hot sauce, or keto bbq sauce.
Great options for dipping include keto ranch dressing, garlic lemon aioli, bang bang sauce, keto blue cheese dressing, and sugar-free peanut sauce.
Serve with a side of celery sticks and carrots (for low carb but not keto).
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do You Add Baking Powder to Wings?
Baking powder is slightly alkaline and raises the pH levels of the skin. This allows the proteins to break down more efficiently and yields crispier skin.
Just make sure to use aluminum-free baking powder - otherwise, it will have an off-putting taste.
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer?
Yes, you can cook frozen chicken wings in the air fryer.
I like the texture and flavor best when they are thawed first, but I've made wings from frozen when I was short on time and they were good. Preheat your air fryer to 350°F and cook for 40-55 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
Make sure you check them regularly once they have cooked for 35 minutes - air fryers can vary pretty dramatically in cooking time.
Tools Needed to Make
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Air Fryer
- Large Bowl
- Instant-Read Thermometer
Wings are best served fresh.
However, if you have any leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat the wings in an oven or air fryer before serving again.
More Keto Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- Air fryer short ribs are a mouthwatering meal that the family will beg you to make again and again.
- For easy and impressive entertaining, air fryer filet mignon is always a winner.
- When you need a delicious family meal, this air fryer whole chicken is always a winner.
- You won't believe how good these air fryer chicken thighs are. Make them once and they are sure to make a regular appearance in your dinnertime rotation.
- These keto buffalo chicken wings can be made most any way, but the air fryer is one of my favorites!
Keto Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 1 ½ pounds chicken wings
- 1 ½ tablespoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Pat the wings with paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Place in a large bowl. In a small dish, stir together the baking powder, garlic powder, salt, paprika, and black pepper.
- Toss the wings with the seasonings.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400° F.
- Place the wings in your air fryer in a single layer, cooking in batches as needed. Spray the wings with oil.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, turning the wings after 10 minutes or until the skin is crispy and the wings are cooked through. (The internal temperature should be 165 ° F.)
- Toss with your favorite keto-friendly sauce if desired.
My full size oven has an air fryer setting. Will this work for the recipe?
Yes! It should work just fine. I don't personally have any experience with full sized oven air fryers, but I have tested this in my Ninja Oven Air Fryer. Generally, you need to increase the cooking time a tiny bit when using an air fryer oven vs. the basket style.