I believe that most meats (and mashed cauliflower) are better with a sauce or gravy, and this Keto Mushroom Gravy is one that never gets old. It is perfect served with grilled or roasted chicken and also works well with hamburger steak. This delicious gravy turns even the most simple of meals into something special!
I have always been a huge mushroom fan, so it should come as no surprise that a good mushroom gravy is near the top of my list of recipes that I'd never want to be without.
This Keto Mushroom Gravy has all the flavor of the gravy I grew up on, minus the carbs. It is perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but truthfully, I turn to this recipe throughout the year.
Give it a try, and you will be hooked.
Are Mushrooms OK for a Keto Diet?
Yes! Mushrooms are low in carbs and an excellent option for a keto diet. Five medium white button mushrooms have just 3 grams of carbohydrates.
What Do You Serve with Keto-Friendly Mushroom Gravy?
This recipe is fabulous over chicken, turkey, beef, and Keto Mashed Cauliflower! Try it over this Keto Roasted Chicken and be prepared to be wowed. Grilled or air fried chicken are also great options. Or use it as a way to liven up steak night!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn From Qualifying Sales
Chicken Wings: This helps to make the gravy extra-flavorful. I reuse them to make another batch of chicken broth.
Mushrooms: Any kind you like works here. I most often use pre-sliced white button or crimini.
Garlic: Nothing compares to fresh minced, but I keep frozen garlic on hand for when I am short on time.
Broth: I make broth with vegetable scraps and leftover chicken bones. It is budget-friendly and so flavorful.
Butter: Use grass-fed if possible.
Heavy Cream: If you are low carb and not keto, half-and-half works too.
Xanthan Gum: This helps to thicken the gravy. You only use a little at a time, and if you store it in the freezer, one bag will last for a year or more.
Salt and Pepper: I use pink Himalayan sea salt and fresh ground black pepper.
How to Make Keto Mushroom Gravy
First, roast the chicken wings to bring out the flavor. To do this, place an oven-safe wire rack on a sheet pan and bake for one hour.
Meanwhile, cook the mushrooms in a large dutch oven over medium heat until they have released their liquid. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
Transfer the roasted wings to the dutch oven, and stir in the garlic.
Add the chicken broth, and bring to a boil over high. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 1 hour.
How much liquid you want in your gravy is entirely up to you, so add more liquid if you like.
Strain off the solids, and return the liquid to the pan.
Add the butter and whipping cream. Once the butter melts, stir in the xanthan gum and cook for 5 minutes, until thick.
Looking for More Comfort Food Inspiration? Try These Recipes!
- Hands down - my favorite weekend breakfast is Keto Sausage Gravy and Biscuits!
- Keto Chicken Fried Steak is a low carb twist on a Southern classic!
- If you like this mushroom gravy, I've got no doubt that you will love Keto Salisbury Steak!
Keto Mushroom Gravy
- 1 ½ pound chicken wings
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups chicken broth more as needed
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Place the chicken wings on a wire rack set on a sheet pan. Bake for 1 hour.
- While the wings cook, saute the mushrooms in a large dutch oven over medium heat until they have released their liquid, about 20 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Transfer the wings to the Dutch oven and add the garlic. Stir to combine. Add the chicken broth, and bring to a boil over high. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer until it reduces by half, about 1 hour.
- Pour the liquid through a mesh strainer and discard the solids. Return the liquid and the mushrooms to the pan.
- Add the butter and whipping cream to the pan over low heat.
- When the butter is melted stir in the xanthan gum and season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes, until thickened.