All the flavors of your favorite appetizer in the form of a hearty and satisfying meal? YES, please! This Instant Pot Jalapeno Popper Chicken is a fun twist on a classic. With a kiss of heat, and creamy, cheesy goodness, this recipe could not be more comforting.
The flavor of Jalapeno Poppers never gets old!
I adore these Keto Jalapeno Poppers - they make a regular appearance on our game day menu.
This Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole is always a hit at our house and is a reader favorite.
This Instant Pot Jalapeno Popper Chicken is an adaptation of that recipe and one I turn to repeatedly.
- Cream Cheese: Make sure you use full-fat for keto.
- Sour Cream: Like the cream cheese, you want to make sure you use full fat.
- Onion: I used a yellow onion, but whatever you have on hand works. Using one teaspoon of onion powder works too.
- Garlic: If you don't have fresh garlic, you can substitute one teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Smoked Paprika: You can use mild or hot smoked paprika. I love the flavor that smoked paprika adds to this dish and think that it takes the flavors to the next level. If you don't have it, sweet paprika works too.
- Salt and Pepper: I use fresh ground black peppercorns and pink Himalayan sea salt.
- Chicken Broth: I always make my own with leftover chicken bones and vegetable scraps.
- Chicken: Breast or thighs work here.
- Jalapeno: Feel free to adjust the amount to your individual preferences. Make sure you seed them and remove the white parts from the insides - this is where much of the heat is.
- Cheese: I used sharp cheddar, but any shredded cheese will work here.
- Bacon: This is an optional garnish, but I highly recommend it. You can cook it in your Instant Pot before you start the rest of the recipe - make sure you scrape up any brown bits to prevent getting the burn message. I typically bake my bacon during my weekly meal prep.
Tips & Tricks
- I've always hated shredding chicken by hand. As crazy as it sounds if you have a stand mixer, it does the job beautifully.
- If you decide to cook the bacon in your Instant Pot, you can do this first. Whisk the remaining grease into the chicken broth and make sure that you scrape up and brown bits before proceeding.
Leftovers of this spicy pulled chicken are fabulous as a wrap in an Almond Flour Tortilla.
Frequently Asked Questions
Jalapeños are considered medium-hot. They are small and most often sold green. (Though they can be red.
The heat from peppers comes from compounds known as capsaicin. It is present in the inner whitish pit and, to a lesser degree, the seeds. To reduce the heat, seed the jalapeños, and then remove the inner white pith. You can always save the seeds for garnish for those whole like it hot!
Slice down one side with a chef's knife and then place the pepper on the cut side. Repeat on the remaining sides to create four pieces. Discard the stem and core.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualified sales
How to Make Instant Pot Jalapeno Popper Chicken
This section is a visual walkthrough for those who like to see photos of the process. Please see the recipe card below for the complete recipe with measurements.
First, start by combining the cream cheese, sour cream, minced onion, garlic, and paprika in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
Pour the broth in the bottom of your Instant Pot and top with the chicken and jalapeno.
Seal the lid and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Do an instant release and carefully remove the chicken from the pot.
Allow to cool slightly and shred.
Hit cancel and then turn the Instant pot on low saute. Stir in the cream cheese mixture and whisk until the mixture melts.
Return the shredded chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and return the cover until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with bacon and serve.
- This Keto BBQ Chicken Casserole is loved by kids and adults alike. The pressure cooker makes this so easy.
- Instant Pot Italian Chicken is an easy to make dinner that is loaded with flavor.
- When you are craving a comforting meal, this Instant Pot Rosemary Chicken never disappoints.
Instant Pot Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
- 1/2 cup diced seeded jalapeno
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces cooked and crumbled bacon
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, minced onion, garlic, and paprika. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the broth in the bottom of the instant pot and top with the chicken and jalapeno. Close and seal the lid and set to manual high pressure.
- Cook for 12 minutes, and then do an instant release.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and allow to cool slightly. Shred.
- Set the Instant Pot to low saute. Stir in the cream cheese mixture and whisk until well combined and the mixture is melted.
- Return the chicken to the pot and stir. Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Turn the Instant Pot off and place the cover on it. Allow to sit until the cheese melts.
- Sprinkle with bacon and serve.