For some crispy goodness on your keto diet, look no further than these Keto chicken nuggets! Enjoy all the flavor of nuggets from your favorite fast-food restaurant while staying true to your low-carb diet. With a crispy parmesan almond flour breading, these nuggets are a hit with kids and adults alike.
- Ingredients for Making Low Carb Chicken Nuggets
- Tips & Tricks
- Sides for Chicken Nuggets
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tools Needed to Make Keto Nuggets
- How to Make Keto Chicken Nuggets
- Subscribe and Get My Best Comfort Food Recipes!
- More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Subscribe and Get My Best Comfort Food Recipes!
- Keto Chicken Nuggets
When looking for a simple family dinner, chicken nuggets are always a good bet.
These tender keto nuggets are dinnertime perfection!
Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, or enjoy them plain.
Either way, you'll love the crispy texture and juicy chicken flavor in every bite.
This recipe is quick to make so that you can enjoy low-carb chicken nuggets any night of the week.
Easy keto recipes don’t get any more family-friendly than this.
Ingredients for Making Low Carb Chicken Nuggets
- Chicken: You can use chicken thighs for this keto chicken nuggets recipe, but I prefer to use boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Dill pickle juice: This is used to marinate the chicken and gives it a delicious dill flavor. You can find sugar-free dill pickle juice at most grocery stores (I love Bubbies brand.)
- Almond flour: This is used to coat the chicken and gives it a crispy texture - it is the perfect solution for making keto fried chicken without pork rinds. Make sure you use super-fine almond flour.
- Parmesan cheese: This is also used to coat the chicken and adds a delicious cheesy flavor.
- Garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper: These seasonings are added to the almond flour coating and give the chicken nuggets a delicious flavor. Want to mix up the flavor? Onion powder and smoked paprika are great options.
- Eggs: Eggs help the almond flour coating stick to the chicken.
- Avocado oil: Avocado oil is perfect for cooking the chicken nuggets. You can use any type of oil, but I prefer avocado oil because it has a high smoke point and doesn't add any unwanted flavors.
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t use coconut flour in place of the almond flour. Coconut flour absorbs moisture, and in this recipe, it will result in dry nuggets. (If you are looking for coconut flavored chicken, try this Keto Coconut Chicken.)
- If you are making keto chicken nuggets in the air fryer, I recommend using air fryer liners if you have any issues with sticking. (Different models respond differently - you may not need them.)
Sides for Chicken Nuggets
Keto Chicken Dippers
You can’t have nuggets without sauce! Some great options include Keto Honey Mustard, Keto Ranch Dressing, and Keto Blue Cheese.
Craving something cheesy? You can’t go wrong with this keto cheese sauce!
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditional chicken nuggets are typically breaded and fried, which means they're high in carbs and not ideal for a keto diet. However, there are plenty of keto-friendly chicken nugget recipes that use low-carb ingredients like almond flour and cheese instead of breading. (Like this one!)
Whether air frying or pan-frying, the oil you choose is vital to keeping this recipe keto.
I recommend using avocado oil, because it is the keto-friendly oil with the highest smoke point. It’s high in monounsaturated fat, which makes it a healthy option.
Coconut oil and olive oil (not extra-virgin) may also be used.
Fried chicken nuggets freeze just as well as store-bought ones.
To Freeze: Place cooled nuggets in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze for an hour or until solid. Once frozen, transfer nuggets to a freezer bag or container. When ready to eat, reheat in the oven or air fryer.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Nuggets
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Air Fryer or Large Deep Skillet
- Shallow Breading Dishes or bowl
- Instant Read Thermometer
- Parchment Paper
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Freeze properly wrapped leftovers for up to three months.
How to Make Keto Chicken Nuggets
Prepping the Chicken
First, start by cutting the chicken into cubes.
Combine the cubed chicken with the dill pickle juice in a shallow dish.
Refrigerate for an hour.
While the chicken brines, make the low-carb breading by combining the almond flour, parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a dish.
Beat the eggs together in a separate bowl or dish.
Remove the chicken from the brine and drain off any excess.
Dip the chicken into the eggs and then coat with the almond flour mixture.
Use your hands to press the mixture into the chicken. Transfer to a parchment lined baking tray or plate while you bred the remainder of the keto friendly nuggets.
Fried Low Carb Chicken Nuggets
Heat your oil in a skillet to 375° F. (If using a deep fryer, fill it with oil and set the temperature to 375 ° F.)
Once you have hot oil, fry for 8 to 12 minutes, flipping once until the exterior is golden brown and the interior is about 160° F.
Drain on paper towels and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Air Fryer Keto Chicken Nuggets
The first step to creating a crispy exterior when air frying is to preheat your air fryer.
Spray both sides of the nuggets oil.
If desired, add an air fryer liner to your air fryer basket and then immediately add the nuggets. (Don’t add the liner while preheating - the fan of the air fryer will blow it up to the heating element.)
Cook until the outsides are crispy and the internal temperature of the chicken is 160° F, about 12 minutes.
Rest for 5 minutes and then serve.
More Keto Chicken Recipes
- Are you looking for more low-carb crispy chicken goodness? You will love this Keto Coconut Chicken.
- Keep your summertime grilling simple but delicious with this Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken.
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs are simple, delicious, and something that the whole family will love.
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash is an easy-to-make casserole that is always a hit.
- Looking for a little global flavor thrill? Don’t miss this Keto Pad Thai!
- Want to enjoy all the crispiness of these keto chicken bites with bone-in chicken? Don’t miss this keto fried chicken recipe.
Keto Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer optional
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Combine the chicken and dill pickle juice in a shallow dish.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- While the chicken is marinating, combine the almond flour, parmesan, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- In a separate shallow dish, beat the eggs together.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and place it on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Dip the chicken in the eggs and then coat with the almond flour mixture and use your hands to press the mixture into the chicken.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet or plate.
- Heat 2 inches of avocado oil in a skillet to 375 degrees.
- Fry for about 8 to 12 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until golden brown. (The internal temperature should be 160° F.)
- Drain on paper towels and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving
- Heat your air fryer to 375° F.
- Spray both sides of the nuggets with oil.
- Add a air fryer liner to the basket if desired, and then add the nuggets in a single layer. (Cook in batches if necessary.)
- Cook for 11 - 13 minutes, flipping half way through until the internal temperature reaches 160° F.
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving.