If you like keto recipes that are easy to make that the whole family will enjoy, you will love this Keto Roast Beef. It is juicy and so full of flavor. We start by seasoning the roast and then adding a punchy coating for a flavor bomb that will leave you doing a happy dance.
I love cooking big cuts of meat on the weekends so that the family has leftovers to enjoy throughout the week.
Since it uses a far more economical round beef roast or top round roast, it is a budget-friendly low-carb keto option that is still absolutely delicious.
You know those pot roast recipes where the meat is tough and bland? We’ve got none of that going on here.
With a tangy horseradish dijon coating, this keto roast has flavor packed into every bite.
Make this simple recipe once, and you will find yourself turning to it again and again!
Ingredients for Making Keto Beef Roast
- Beef: Choose an economical cut, like eye of round beef roast or top round roast. Choose a cut without the bone.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, salt, and pepper give this easy gluten-free roast a pop of flavor. You can add fresh herbs if you have them on hand. Thyme and fresh rosemary are fabulous options.
- Oil: I recommend avocado oil because we are cooking at high heat. I do not recommend olive oil for this recipe.
- Mustard: Dijon mustard works best here, but grainy mustard may also be used.
- Horseradish: Make sure you read the label to ensure that there are no additives (such as sugar) that are not keto-friendly.
Tips & Tricks
- Want to make a simple gravy? Use the drippings in the bottom of the pan and add beef broth to make a simple gravy by simmering them until they are reduced. Thicken the gravy with about ¼ teaspoon of xanthan gum. For more flavor, make this Keto Mushroom Gravy. (Mushrooms and roast beef are a match made in heaven!)
- The cooking time will vary based on the size of your roast, its thickness, and your desired doneness. Use an instant-read thermometer to ensure the roast reaches your desired internal temperature.
- Don’t skip the resting time! It is critical to achieving the most flavorful and juicy roast.
Keto roasted vegetables with onion, zucchini, and an eggplant are also a great option. (You can sub in your favorite low-carb vegetables.)
Craving potatoes? Try these keto roasted radishes instead!
If you are low carb and not keto, carrots are also a fabulous side.
Keto sandwiches, anyone? Let this recipe do double duty and use the meat to make Keto French Dip sandwiches. (Or just a simple roast beef sandwich with chaffles.)
Another great option? Use leftover meat in this Keto Philly Cheesesteak Casserole.
Frequently Asked Questions
So, is roast beef keto-friendly? The answer is yes; roast beef can be part of a ketogenic diet.
This is because it is a source of high-quality protein and healthy fats, both of which are essential for achieving ketosis.
It is best to make homemade roast beef rather than choosing processed meats from the deli as they can contain hidden carbs and unhealthy additives.
There are a few different types of beef roast, and the difference between them is largely a matter of cooking method.
The most significant difference between pot roast and roast beef is that roast beef is cooked dry, whereas pot roast is slow-cooked in liquid. (Often in a crock pot.)
This makes low carb pot roast more fall apart fork-tender, and roast beef more steak-like and suitable for sandwiches and other recipes. You shred keto pot roast before serving an slice roast beef.
Both types of meat use methods of cooking that take a tougher cut of meat and make it more tender.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Roast
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Roasting pan or another pan that allows the juices to run below. (You do not need a lid.)
- Meat thermometer
- Electric knife or meat slicer
Leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Can I Freeze Roast Beef?
Yes! I recommend wrapping the meat in freezer paper and then storing in a freezer-safe container. Properly wrapped and stored it should last for six months.
How to Make Keto Roast Beef
First, start by seasoning the roasted with garlic powder, salt, and pepper and letting it temper at room temperature for at least an hour.
Want even more flavor? Season the roast 24 hours ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator until about an hour before cooking.
In a small bowl, combine the avocado oil, mustard, and horseradish. Rub this mixture over the roast and place the roast in a pan.
Preheat your oven to 500° F.
Cook the beef on high for 10 minutes, and then lower the heat to 325° F. (This eliminates the need to sear the meat on the stove.)
Cook for another 20 to 30 minutes until the internal temperature is about 125° F.
Remove from the oven, and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.
More Keto Beef Recipes to Try
- Looking for the perfect beef for a special occasion? Look no further than this Cowboy Ribeye! It is ridiculously easy to make and so impressive.
- This Slow Roasted Beef Tenderloin Roast is great for entertaining! It is so full of flavor and sure to delight.
- Instant Pot Beef Ribs are perfect when you are short on time and craving bold flavors!
- Keto Meatballs are a family-loved favorite that never gets old.
Keto Roast Beef
- Roasting Pan
- Remove the roast from the refrigerator and sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Allow the meat to sit at room temperature for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- In a small dish, combine the avocado oil, Dijon mustard, and horseradish. Rub the mixture over the roast.
- Place the roast on a pan that allows the juices to run beneath.
- Preheat the oven to 500° F.
- Cook the beef for 10 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325° F.
- Cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature is between 125° F to 130° F for medium-rare.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.