Keto Mozzarella Sticks are a low-carb twist on a much-loved classic. Crispy on the outside, gooey perfection on the inside, this is a recipe you will crave again and again. They are surprisingly easy to make and always a hit!
It is no secret that I love appetizers.
Today I’ve got another keto appetizer for you, and I know you are going to love it just as much as I do.
These Keto Mozzarella Sticks have everything you love about the ones you get in a restaurant sans the carbs.
These are pure cheesy goodness that never gets old.
Ingredients for Making Keto Cheese Sticks
- String Cheese: Use mozzarella string cheese. Avoid low-fat if possible.
- Eggs: I used large eggs.
- Almond Flour: Finely ground almond flour is best here. I don’t recommend using almond meal.
- Parmesan Cheese: Use finely ground freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Garlic Powder: Feel free to omit or use onion powder if you are not a garlic fan.
- Salt and pepper: Adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Tips & Tricks
- You can bake these, but they will crisp up more if you fry them in oil.
- Don’t skip putting the prepped mozzarella sticks in the freezer, or you could end up with a fried cheese explosion. You can freeze them uncooked and cook them when you are ready to enjoy them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most cheese sticks are not keto-friendly because they are coated in all-purpose flour and breadcrumbs.
This keto mozzarella sticks recipe is ideally suited for the keto diet.
Technically you can. Because the goal is to keep the oil temperature at 355° F, it is safe to cook these keto fried cheese sticks in olive oil.
I choose avocado because it has a higher smoke point, and I don’t have to worry about it if my oil accidentally gets too hot.
You can learn more about the safety of cooking with olive oil here.
If you like, you can use crushed pork rinds in place of the almond meal. I am not a fan of pork rinds personally, but it is a good option if you are allergic to nuts.
Tools Needed to Make Keto Fried Mozzarella Sticks
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper
I recommend waiting to cook these until just before you serve them because the texture isn’t the same if you make them ahead of time.
If you would like to prep these ahead of time, store the breaded cheese sticks in the freezer until you are ready to cook them. They will keep for about a month. After that, the texture of the cheese will deteriorate a bit.
How to Make Keto Mozzarella Sticks
First, start by cutting the mozzarella in half.
Make an egg wash by beating the eggs with a tablespoon of water in a shallow bowl.
Make the breading by combining almond flour, parmesan, garlic powder, and pepper.
Put a mozzarella stick in the egg, and then transfer it to the breading. Use your hands and press the breading into the cheese sticks.
Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for one hour.
Baked Cheese Sticks
Transfer the cheese sticks to a fresh parchment-lined baking sheet and spray with oil.
Bake at 425° F until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
Keto Fried Cheese Sticks
Preheat the oil to 355° F.
Cook in batches until the cheese is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
You May Also Like
- This Cheese Ball is an easy-to-make appetizer that even those not on a low-carb diet love. It is perfect for making ahead. I like to serve it with Low Carb Crackers.
- Dill Pickle Dip is a bit unexpected and a fun way to mix things up. Give it a try, and I think you will agree - this one is a keeper!
- These Onion Rings are so good - it is hard to believe that they are low carb. I love them dipped in Ranch Dressing. (They are also good with Blue Cheese or Ketchup.)
Keto Mozzarella Sticks
- 12 ounces mozzarella string cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups finely ground almond flour
- 1 ½ cups finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the mozzarella in half.
- Beat the eggs together with 1 tablespoon of water in a shallow bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the almond flour, Parmesan, and garlic powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dip the mozzarella in the eggs.
- Coat in the almond flour mixture, using your hands to gently press the mixture into the cheese.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Freeze for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cheese sticks on the parchment paper and spray with oil.
- Bake for 4 minutes. Turn over, and bake an additional 2 minutes or until golden brown. (For a deeper golden brown, you can broil for the last 2 minutes - be sure to watch closely to avoid over-browning.
- Preheat at 3-inches of avocado oil in a medium pot to 355° F. (You can also use a deep fryer.)
- Fry in batches until the cheese is golden brown, about 90 seconds to 2 minutes.