If you like short ribs with a crispy exterior and fall-off-the-bone-tender meat, you will love this air fryer short ribs recipe. The simple marinade adds a pop of flavor while keeping the hands-on time to a minimum. When you want a deliciously easy weeknight dinner with minimal fuss, it doesn’t get much better than this!
I’ve always enjoyed beef ribs when dining out, but I started making them at home a few years ago.
We’ve enjoyed these red wine braised short ribs and Instant Pot beef ribs countless times.
My latest method of cooking this family favorite is air-fried short ribs. It is perfect for summer since you don’t have to heat the oven. (Plus, the cooking time is less!)
This recipe is simple to follow and will result in some of the most tender and flavorful short ribs you've ever had.
They are easy to make, crazy delicious, and work just as well for a weeknight meal as they do for entertaining.
Ingredients for Making Air Fryer Beef Short Ribs
- Oil: I used avocado oil because it has a high smoke point and is neutral in flavor, but you could also use olive oil.
- Coconut Aminos: I used coconut aminos to keep this recipe keto and low carb, but you could use Tamari or soy sauce if you're not following a special diet.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic adds the best flavor, but you could also use garlic powder. Onion powder is another excellent addition!
- Oregano: I used fresh oregano because it's what I had on hand, but you could also use dried oregano.
- Mustard: I used dry mustard for this recipe because it's what I had on hand, but you could also use Dijon mustard.
- Smoked Paprika: This ingredient is key for adding that smoky flavor. If you don't have smoked paprika, you could use regular paprika.
- Salt and Pepper: I used sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to season the short ribs, but you could use any type of salt and pepper.
- Beef Short Ribs: I used bone-in beef short ribs because I think they have the best flavor, but you could also use boneless beef short ribs.
Best Sauces For Air Fried Beef Short Ribs
When it comes to air fried beef short ribs, a few different sauces can take the dish to the next level.
One excellent option is a simple BBQ sauce. This will give the ribs a nice smoky flavor that pairs well with the rich taste of the beef.
Another delicious option is a teriyaki sauce. This sweet and savory sauce will add a lovely Asian twist to your dish.
Lastly, if you want something a little different, you could try a honey mustard sauce. This tangy and slightly sweet sauce will please even the pickiest eaters.
Keto Mashed Cauliflower is my go-to side with short ribs - they are so good the family just may think they are eating mashed potatoes. Add something green to your plate with these crispy brussels sprouts, cheesy green beans, or asparagus.
Craving bread for a hearty meal? Keto Cheese Breadsticks or Garlic Knots are the perfect addition to your table.
Frequently Asked Questions
Beef ribs and beef short ribs are both delicious, but they have some key differences. Beef ribs are taken from the animal's rib cage, while beef short ribs come from between the rib cage and the belly.
As a result, beef ribs tend to be larger and bonier, while beef short ribs are smaller and more fatty. It tends to be easier to get the meat on short ribs.
The difference between the two types of ribs is how they are cut. English-cut short ribs are typically 1-2 inches thick with a long, rectangular shape.
Flanken-style short ribs are taken from and are thinner (about ½ inch thick) with a more rectangular shape. Both types of short ribs are packed with flavor, but the English cut is generally considered more tender and juicy.
Unlike many cuts of meat, you want your short ribs to be fall off the bone tender. Because of this, most experts recommend an internal temperature of 205 ° F.
The air fryer is an excellent choice for cooking short ribs because you get a deliciously crispy exterior, and the meat comes out tender and juicy.
Tools Needed to Make Air Fried Short Ribs
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying sales.
- Mason jar or blender
- Shallow dish
- Air Fryer
- Instant Read Thermometer
Store your leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
To freeze, allow the beef ribs to cool and shred the meat off the bone. The meat will keep in the freezer for up to three months.
How to Make Beef Short Ribs in the Air Fryer
First, start by making your short rib marinade.
In a mason jar or blender, combine the oil, coconut aminos, garlic, oregano, dry mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Shake or blend until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
Next, place the beef ribs in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over them.
Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight.
Temper the ribs at room temperature for one hour.
Preheat the air fryer.
Add the beef ribs to the air fryer basket and cook for 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature is about 205° F.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- Looking for a tasty side dish to accompany your next meal? Check out this air fryer broccoli recipe!
- When you need a dish to wow your friends and family, this Keto Chicken Parmesan is perfect.
- No need to miss crunch on your keto diet! Homemade Keto Tortilla Chips are super-simple to make and easy to customize.
- These Air Fryer Chicken Thighs take just a handful of ingredients but are so full of flavor.
Air Fryer Short Ribs
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup coconut aminos Tamari or soy sauce for low carb and not keto
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pounds beef short ribs
- In a mason jar or blender, combine the avocado oil, coconut aminos, garlic, oregano, salt, dry mustard, smoked paprika, and black pepper.
- Blend or shake until combined.
- Place the ribs in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over it.
- Refrigerate for 12 hours or up to overnight.
- Allow the ribs to sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400° F.
- Cook the ribs for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 205° F, flipping halfway through.
can you use a different oil other than avocado?
Yes! Whatever oil you want works.
Where is the air fryer temperature mentioned I cannot find it
Do you need to marinate that long?
I like to go for a longer marinade here for the fullest flavor and most tender ribs, but it will still be good if you need to shorten the time.
Love the garlic and oregano here! Delicious recipe. Thank you.
These short ribs were so tender! The marinade gave them a lot of flavor too.
Journa Liz Ramirez
This is tenderly good and fall-of-the-bone meat! It turned out to be so delicious and addicting. I love to have this on special occasions.