I have a soft spot for Italian flavors, and this Instant Pot Italian Chicken is one of my favorite go-to weeknight meals. The creamy cheese sauce adds a touch of indulgence without making the dish too heavy. This is one of those dishes I make on auto-pilot throughout the year.
(Obviously, I am talking Americanized Italian food here!)
This Instant Pot Italian Chicken has the flavor profile I love, but it a dish that can be as light or as decadent as you like. Feeling like a light meal? Use just a portion of the sauce and save the rest for another meal later in the week.
Looking for rich and creamy chicken? Have at it - go crazy with the sauce.
Either way, I think you will agree that this one is a winner.
As an amazon associate, I earn from qualified sales.
- My favorite way to serve this recipe is with Keto Roasted Vegetables (recipe coming soon) and Palmini Noodles. Toss the noodles with the sauce and serve with the vegetables on the side.
- A simple green salad with Keto Ranch Dressing makes a great side.
- This is great served over cauliflower rice or Keto Mashed Cauliflower.
- Use Almond Flour Tortillas and turn the leftovers - including the olive, tomato, and basil garnishes - into quesadillas.
- Keto Roasted Cauliflower is another great easy to make side dish.
Italian Chicken Instant Pot Variation
If you would like, you can add sautéed mushrooms or broccoli on top of the chicken. (Cook them just enough to get the veggies to release most of their liquid so it doesn’t water down your dish.)
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! I often use a mixture since half of our family loves chicken breast meat, while the other half loves thighs.
You can, but you will need to finish the sauce up on the stovetop unless you have a slow cooker with a saute function. To make in the slow cooker, cook on low for about 3 hours.
Nope - this is an optional step. If you are looking for a simple dinner, this recipe works just fine if you skip that step
Yes! Leftovers will keep in the freezer for about two months. Although cream sauces often don’t freeze well, the high content will help this hold up better in the freezer.
How to Make Instant Pot Italian Chicken
Start by patting the chicken thighs dry and seasoning. I prefer to do this a day ahead of time, but last minutes works as well.
If your family prefers browned chicken, you can do this using the saute function. Just make sure to deglaze the brown bits after adding the broth - leaving them on the bottom of the pan can cause the burn signal.
If you aren't browning the chicken, just but the broth in the bottom of the pot and then add the chicken. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure that it is set to seal.
Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes if you are browning the chicken or 10 if you did not.
Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, and then do a quick release.
Remove the chicken from the pot and turn to medium saute. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Reduce to low saute and add the cheese. Cook over low until the cheese melts.
Drizzle the chicken with the sauce and serve.
More Keto Instant Pot Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot Chicken Tinga is super-easy to make and perfect for busy weeknights. I like to serve the chicken in an Almond Flour Tortilla!
- Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms is surprisingly full of flavor for a dish so simple.
- Still need more inspiration? Browse my complete collection of Keto Instant Pot Recipes.
Instant Pot Italian Chicken
- 2 ½ pounds chicken breast or thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- For garnish: fresh basil olives, fresh or roasted grape tomatoes
- Pat the chicken thighs dry and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Optional: If you like, you can brown the chicken using the saute function. If you do this, make sure you deglaze the brown bits after you add the broth and before you set the pot to pressure. (Leaving them can cause a burn signal.)
- Place the broth in the bottom of the instant pot and top with the chicken. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure that the valve is set to seal. Set to manual high pressure for 8 minutes if you browned the chicken or 10 if you did not.
- When the time is up, set allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, and then do a quick release.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and allow it to rest.
- Turn the pot to saute, medium, and add the heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, whisking often. Add the mozzarella cheese and cook over low heat until the cheese melts.
- Drizzle the chicken with the sauce and serve.