This Instant Pot Frozen Whole Chicken is the epitome of a no-fuss meal. With just four ingredients and less than 10 minutes of hands on time, you have got a deliciously tender chicken that is perfect for an easy weeknight meal or meal prep. Want a crispy-skinned chicken? Just broil it for about five minutes and be prepared for compliments all around.
As much as I love to cook, with three kids sometimes I need things to be easy. No fuss, just a simple meal that I can get on the table with as little effort as possible.
Very often, these are the times that I reach for my Instant Pot.
I was late to the pressure cooking game, putting it off when it first became popular because I thought I didn't need one more thing in my kitchen.
By then, I was getting emails regularly with people requesting recipes. I have a hard time saying no when people tell me what they want, so I broke down and bought one.
Immediately, I regretted not doing it sooner.
This Instant Pot Frozen Whole Chicken is great for those nights where you haven't got a moment to spare! You won't believe how easy cooking frozen chicken is.
Give it a try, and I think you will agree, this is a recipe you need in your arsenal.
Ingredients for Making Frozen Whole Chicken in the Instant Pot
- Avocado Oil: Since pressure cooking involves high heat, using a heat-safe oil is essential. Avocado oil is my go-to oil for cooking.
- Salt and Pepper: Feel free to adjust the levels of the seasonings. A general rule of thumb is one teaspoon of salt for a pound of meat.
- Italian Seasoning: If you don't have it, rosemary, oregano, parsley, or thyme also work.
- Whole Chicken: Look for one without giblets or one that has them in paper. I always buy the same brand, so I know that it doesn't have the giblets.
- Chicken Broth: I like to make my own, but you can buy it too. Save the broth you use in making this recipe - I use it as the base for another broth batch. (Make sure that you use it quickly.)
Tips & Tricks
- Make sure you consider the size of your Instant Pot when choosing the size of the chicken. An 8 quart Instant Pot will fit a 5-pound chicken without issues, but it could be a problem for a smaller Instant Pot.
- I am not a fan of rinsing chicken, mostly because I am concerned about spreading bacteria in my kitchen. Here, however, I have found that it helps the oil to coat better.
- Don't use warm, freshly made chicken broth. The warm liquid will cause the pot to come to pressure faster and reduce the total cooking time. As a result, the chicken can come out undercooked.
- A larger chicken does not require more liquid in this recipe.
Instant Pot Tips
- When you set the timer, the display will change to show "on" while the pressure builds. Once the pot comes to pressure, the time will begin to count down.
- If you are having trouble bringing your Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker to pressure, check your sealing ring. It could be that it is simply out of place. If this isn't the issue, make sure that it isn't time to replace it.
- Before starting to cook, check to ensure that the lid is set to sealing and not venting.
- Some newer models say "Pressure Cook" rather than manual. They mean the same thing.
Cleaning Your Instant Pot
Unplug the electric pressure cooker after use and allow it to cool. Remove and wash the silicone gasket, ring, lid, and inner pot. Clean the inside rim of the outer pot with a wet brush and towel so that food doesn't build-up
Allow everything to dry before reassembling your pot.
Keto Recipes that Call for Cooked Chicken
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Low Carb Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you sure can! You won't believe how easy it is to make an Instant Pot whole chicken or how tender it comes out.
Yes, you can. Giblets are typically in paper bags. You can remove the giblets before broiling. You do want to make sure that your giblets aren't covered in plastic, so it is generally best to stick with a brand that you know.
The larger your pressure cooker, the less time you will need to set the timer for. It isn't that the chicken will cook quicker. Rather, the Instant Pot will take longer to come to pressure.
6 Quart Instant Pot
4 lb chicken - 60 minutes
5 lb chicken - 70 minutes
8 Quart Instant Pot
4 lb chicken - 40 minutes
5 lb chicken - 50 minutes
Don't through leftover chicken bones away. Instead, use it to make chicken broth. To do this, check out my Instant Pot Chicken Bone Broth Recipe.
Because of the time it takes to get the food up to a safe temperature, it is generally not recommended to cook frozen food in the slow cooker.
Tools Needed to Make Instant Pot Whole Frozen Chicken
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualified sales.
Cooked chicken can be kept in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to three days. It may be frozen for up to three months.
How to Make Instant Pot Frozen Whole Chicken
This section is a visual walk-through of the recipe. See the recipe card below for full details with time and measurements.
First, start by combining the avocado oil and seasonings in a small bowl.
Rinse the chicken, and then brush it with the mixture.
Pour the chicken broth into the bottom of your pot.
Place the trivet inside the pot. Add the chicken breast side up.
Ensure that the lid ring is in properly, and close the lid.
Set the instant pot to manual, and cook for about an hour. (See the recipe card or FAQ for adjustments based on your Instant pot and the size of the chicken.)
When the pressure has released naturally, carefully open the lid.
If desired, you can place the chicken under the broiler and broil until browned.
More Keto Instant Pot Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot Beef Ribs are quick to make and always a hit at my house. It feels like something you would eat at a restaurant but is SO easy to make.
- When you need a meal on the table in a flash, it doesn't get any better than this Instant Pot Frozen Salmon.
- Keto Sesame Chicken is full of flavor and SO EASY to make in the Instant Pot. This is one of my favorite IP chicken recipes!
- Craving more inspiration? Check out my complete collection of Keto Instant Pot Recipes!
Instant Pot Frozen Whole Chicken
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 - 4 to 5- pound whole chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
Make the Spice Mixture
- In a small bowl, combine the avocado oil, salt, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.
- Rinse the chicken with water and brush the chicken with the oil and spice mixture.
- Place the chicken broth or water in the Instant pot and place a trivet inside the pot. Add the chicken to the pot breast side up.
- Close the lid and set it to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to high manual for 60 minutes. (See the notes below for adjustments based on the size of your cooker and chicken.)
- Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Preheat the broiler to high. Place the chicken on a sheet pan and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.